Is 115-120 dB Loud Noise Harmful to Dogs and Humans?

In summary: So they would be exposed to the sound, but not feeling it that much.I think mechanically vibrating sound waves would be outgoing from the dogs and due to their shape the amount of vibration reaching their own ears would be in 80% range at most. So they would be exposed to the sound, but not feeling it that much.
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
I've been watching a discussion on another forum regarding the use of loud horns to deter dogs from chasing bikes. Some dissenters say that it is cruel since dogs can "hear so much better than humans" and such loud sounds can injure them. My question is, is it better stated that dogs have a greater range and sensitivity (lower threshold) for sound that humans do and they aren't necessarily going to be negatively impacted by an equivalently loud noise? In other words if I'm exposed to a 115-120 db blast (roughly what the horn in question can produce) am I less, more, or just as likely to suffer injury than a dog exposed to the same noise? Any insights?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks, cronxeh, I found that one myself after posting the question. I'm still not sure I'm convinced that the dog would feel more pain than a human, or feel pain sooner with an increasing volume. Obviously dogs have a wider range of frequencies that they can hear compared to humans, so they most likely have hair cells that respond to those frequencies and/or the shape of the cochlea facilitates reception of said frequencies. Is the "volume sensitivity" of the system a fixed range? In other words, if you make the ear more sensitive to lower volumes, do you also lower the threshold at which discomfort is reached? I guess I need to do some more digging, maybe look for auditory startle responses in dogs versus humans.

I think there is some serious scientific inquiry that needs to be done into that

I don't even know how to begin doing the amplitude vs pain threshold test on the dogs. Perhaps using EEG? I guess you would need to compare EEG of a pain stimuli (an electric shock?) and compare that with dB stimuli to draw a conclusive result, but either way I have a dog and Technics RP DH 1200 headphones, but no EEG, so I can't really help you on this one, DOc :biggrin:

Oh and I'm pretty sure just by their physiology their sensitivity should go down vs frequency or should raise but definitely not stay constant

The other issue is pain vs damage. One may experience pain but not neccessarily accrue damage. Typical hearing damage occurs during chronic exposure to noise, of course the louder the noise the less exposure one needs to get damage. The horn used on dogs puts out about 115 dB which the American Academy of Otology - Head and Neck Surgery http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hearing/noise_hearing.cfm" equates to a car horn or rock concert and allows a maximum of 15minutes of unprotected exposure per day (when was the last concert you went to that was only 15 min?:bugeye: :cry: ). So in terms of humans, the horn blast is probably OK, but if for some reason the dog has a lower pain/damage threshold, then maybe it could result in injury. The search continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs themselves can bark pretty loud when they feel like it, so it can't cause them that much discomfort surely? Just a thought.

matthyaouw said:
Dogs themselves can bark pretty loud when they feel like it, so it can't cause them that much discomfort surely? Just a thought.

I think mechanically vibrating sound waves would be outgoing from the dogs and due to their shape the amount of vibration reaching their own ears would be in 80% range at most

1. Is 115-120 dB loud noise harmful to dogs and humans?

Yes, 115-120 dB loud noise can be harmful to both dogs and humans. This level of sound is considered to be in the range of extremely loud and can cause damage to the ears and hearing loss if exposed for prolonged periods of time.

2. How does loud noise affect dogs and humans?

Loud noise can affect dogs and humans in similar ways. It can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and physical discomfort. It can also lead to stress, anxiety, and behavioral changes in both species.

3. What are the symptoms of loud noise exposure in dogs and humans?

The symptoms of loud noise exposure in dogs and humans may include ear pain, difficulty hearing, ringing in the ears, dizziness, and headaches. In severe cases, it may also lead to nausea, vomiting, and disorientation.

4. Are certain breeds of dogs more sensitive to loud noise?

Yes, some breeds of dogs may be more sensitive to loud noise due to their genetics or past experiences. Breeds with large, upright ears such as German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers may be more susceptible to noise-induced hearing loss.

5. How can I protect my dog and myself from loud noise?

To protect your dog and yourself from loud noise, you can use earplugs or earmuffs to reduce the sound level. You can also limit exposure to loud noise by avoiding noisy environments or using soundproofing materials. In some cases, behavioral training and desensitization techniques may also help your dog cope with loud noises.