So, feel free to smack me with an education if I'm wrong but

• Thread starter Jier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary: A fellow astronomer In summary, the person is not a college student but enjoys astronomy as a hobby. They had a thought while watching a documentary about the possibility of strangelets being formed during the Big Bang. However, this is currently not supported by scientific evidence. They also question the existence of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies and suggest that these may actually be strangelets. However, this is also not supported by evidence and it is important to base ideas on solid research.
Jier
Alright, I'm currently not a college student and I have to admit that Astronomy is little more then a hobby I do as I wander around outside late at night, but I just had a thought a moment ago I would like to confer with others on just to see their take on it.

Now, I was watching "End Day" on National Geographic, basically it runs through the various scenarios for an "End Day" situation. The typical where ran through, plague, meteors, tsunamis, but it was the last that brought me to my current thoughts. They made refferences throughout the documentary pointing out how "particle acceleration could create a black hole," this was added with the secondary scenario of the creation of "Strangelets."

Here is my question: If, as the documentary mentioned, the particle accerlation tests are meant to test experiments of "big bang" scenarios in which the "strangelet phenomena" is possible what is the probability that during the Big Bang strangelets are naturally formed, however the intense explosion of the blast is great enough to "hurl" them outwards, or the Big Bang is only but a series of smaller explosions that happen throughout the galaxy when the space has been contracted to a certain point.

Now, what if this evidence has been under our very noses this whole time? I hear and read of scientists talking of "super-massive" black holes that exist within the center of the galaxies as a whole. What if these are not galaxies at all but, infact, strangelets pulling the execess material around them into their central point as they, themselves, are pulling one another closer as well?

Eh, I can't doubt that someone else has already had this thought, but I'm curious if anyone whom has heard of these related "theorys" and pieced them together like this already? Keep in mind, I have only a high school education when it comes to physics, and aside from what little bits and bracks I pick up from what I see and read, I'm truly a laymen when it comes to these terms - atleast in my eyes.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and question with us. It is always exciting to see someone curious about astronomy and thinking critically about scientific concepts.

Firstly, I would like to address the idea of strangelets and their formation during the Big Bang. While the theory of strangelets is still a topic of debate and research, it is currently not considered a possible outcome of the Big Bang. The conditions required for the formation of strangelets are extremely high energy and density, which are not present during the early stages of the universe. Therefore, it is unlikely that strangelets were formed during the Big Bang.

Regarding the concept of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies, there is strong evidence to suggest that these are indeed black holes and not strangelets. Black holes are created by the collapse of massive stars, while strangelets are theorized to be formed by the collision of high-energy particles. The formation processes and characteristics of these two objects are vastly different.

It is also important to note that while black holes may appear to be "pulling" material towards their center, this is actually due to the extreme gravitational force they possess. It is not a result of strangelets pulling each other closer.

I would also like to point out that the idea of multiple Big Bangs happening throughout the universe is not supported by current scientific evidence. The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began with a single, extremely dense and hot point and has been expanding ever since.

In conclusion, while your ideas are interesting and show a great curiosity for astronomy, they are not currently supported by scientific evidence. It is important to continue learning and exploring scientific concepts, but it is also important to base our ideas and theories on solid evidence and research.

I hope this helps clarify some of your thoughts and encourages you to continue learning about astronomy and other scientific fields.

1. What does "smack me with an education" mean in this context?

"Smack me with an education" is a figurative expression that means to correct or educate someone who may be wrong or misinformed about a topic. It is often used in a playful or self-deprecating manner.

2. Why did the speaker use the phrase "feel free to smack me with an education"?

The speaker likely used this phrase to acknowledge that they may not have all the information or knowledge on a certain topic and are open to learning and being corrected by someone who does.

3. Is it appropriate to use this phrase in a professional setting?

This phrase can be used in a professional setting as long as it is used in a respectful and non-confrontational manner. It is important to consider the tone and context in which it is used.

4. What is the best way to "smack someone with an education"?

The best way to "smack someone with an education" is to politely and respectfully provide them with correct information or evidence to support your point. It is important to avoid being condescending or dismissive in your approach.

5. Can "smacking someone with an education" lead to a productive conversation?

Yes, "smacking someone with an education" can lead to a productive conversation if it is done in a respectful and constructive manner. It can help to correct misunderstandings and promote learning and understanding between individuals.