Bearing failure rating? Simple rev counter?

In summary, the speaker has built a turbo jet engine from scratch and is concerned about the possibility of it disintegrating or the bearings failing. They are looking for a formula to determine the maximum speed the roller bearings can handle and a simple way to calculate the engine's revolutions. They have posted in the General Engineering topic and are seeking advice from more experienced individuals.
agusta
Firstly I would like to point out I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and will most likely be blind or dead by tomorrow. But anyway.

I've finally finished me first turbo jet engine (from scratch I would like to add and designed myself and dodgy as I am pretty convinced that it won't explode (mainly because its about a hundred times stronger than it needs to be) but I do expect it to either disintegrate or have bearings fail. I have used roller bearings, which was a stupid idea I know but it saved me a lot of time. What I would like to know is how I can determine roughly what speed a roller bearing will fail at excluding sideways force and heat etc. I have a formula for the failure rating when a certain sized bearing is under a sideways force but I can't find one for the maximum revs they can handle.

There must be a formula where you can use the ball size, number of balls, outside diameter, inside diameter width etc.

Also I would like to have a simple way of working out the number of revs its doing. Maybe using a strobe light and adjusting the frequency until the impeller stops moving? Then you could use that frequency someway. Just a thought. (probably stupid but hay I am at high school where making a fire poker in engineering is classed as complicated)

The thing is I don’t what it disintegrating and blinding a few fellow class mate. I suppose I would get on the news if it exploded and kill a few people (I shouldn’t say that, sorry)

I know I am only at high school and you guys are all probably either 4th year mechanical engineering students or actual engineers but I hope to be a 4th year mechanical engineering student one day so give use a break)

So if you have any ideas that’d be great. Anything really.

I posted this in general engineering but i though it would be more appropriate here.

Cheers

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bearings have data sheets. The max RPM, load limits and expected failure life are quoted in said data sheets.

See my response in the General Engineeering Topic. Please don't double post.

1. What is a bearing failure rating?

A bearing failure rating is a measurement of the durability and reliability of a bearing. It indicates how long a bearing is expected to last under normal operating conditions before it fails.

2. How is a bearing failure rating determined?

A bearing failure rating is determined through extensive testing and analysis of the bearing's design, materials, and performance. Factors such as load, speed, temperature, and lubrication are also taken into account.

3. What is the significance of a bearing's failure rating?

The failure rating of a bearing is important because it helps manufacturers and engineers select the appropriate bearing for a specific application. A higher failure rating indicates a longer lifespan and better performance.

4. What is a simple rev counter and how does it relate to bearing failure?

A simple rev counter is a device used to measure the rotational speed of a machine, such as an engine or motor. It is often used to monitor the speed of rotating components, including bearings, which can help detect potential issues or failures.

5. Can a bearing's failure rating be improved?

Yes, a bearing's failure rating can be improved through design and material enhancements, as well as proper maintenance and lubrication. Regular inspection and monitoring can also help identify and address any potential issues before they lead to failure.