Proving a^2+b^2=1 has Only One sin* & cos*

• Thread starter Gwilim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the author is trying to find a proof that all solutions to a^2+b^2=1 must take the form a=sin* b=cos*. He has a quadratic he can solve to check. If a = cosθ, then 1 - a2 = … ?
Gwilim
Doing a past paper where long story short I have a set of equations and I have to prove the variables are equal to some trig function. Namely:

a^2 + c^2 = b^2 + d^2 = 1

ad - bc = ab + cd = 0

Now I know that sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 and that sin(A+B)=sinAcosB + cosAsinB, etc

and the conclusion is that these equations have a general solution expressing a, b, c and d as functions of some parameter *, i.e. a=cos* b=sin* c=-sin* d=cos*.

Now I can easily see that this is true when I put the results back into the equation, but I am wondering how I know that only these functions will do.

For example if we are told that a^2+b^2=1, it is certainly true for all a:=sin*, b:=cos*, but might there not be other solutions? Is it simply common knowledge that there aren't?

Well, I have a quadratic I can solve to check?

a^2-1+b^2=0

Oh it's a function of two variables

a^2=-(b+1)(b-1)
a=-((b+1)(b-1))^(1/2)

Okay so now I suppose we have a in terms of b, we have a similar argument for c in terms of d, and we can plug those into ab+cd=0 and ad-bc=1, and we will have two equations relating a to c.

I suspect this will still lead to an equation which looks like a trig identity. But even so, it would not serve as a proof that all solutions to a^2+b^2=1 must take the form a=sin* b=cos*.

I could jump to that conclusion to get the marks in an exam but I would like to see a proof. I'm probably being blind to something very obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gwilim! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Gwilim said:
For example if we are told that a^2+b^2=1, it is certainly true for all a:=sin*, b:=cos*, but might there not be other solutions? Is it simply common knowledge that there aren't?

Sorry, but yes (with ±s). :redface:

If a = cosθ, then 1 - a2 = … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Gwilim! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Sorry for the awful formatting I'm posting with an iPod.

Sorry, but yes (with ±s). :redface:

If a = cosθ, then 1 - a2 = … ? :wink:

right but I am wondering about that if. What if a is the square root of cos2θ+C for some C>2? wouldn't the equation 1-a2=b2still hold for b = sqrt(sin2θ-C)? And a is no longer equal to cos θ for any θ.

Ah okay so b is a complex number and since the question wanted real solutions I have not found a counterexample as far as the exam is concerned but I still haven't proved that there aren't any.

I suppose we can say that a and b must exist on the interval [-1,1] if we want real solutions. But we can define functions other than sines and cosines with that range.

No no wait since sines and cosines are surjective on that range any number on the interval [-1,1] can be written as the sine or cosine of something, and so a can be written as sinθ at which point we can go ahead and identify b with cosθ.

Alright I guess I'm convinced. Does this mean it's possible to actually define sines and cosines as the functions with that relative property?

Gwilim said:
No no wait since sines and cosines are surjective on that range any number on the interval [-1,1] can be written as the sine or cosine of something, and so a can be written as sinθ at which point we can go ahead and identify b with cosθ.

Alright I guess I'm convinced. Does this mean it's possible to actually define sines and cosines as the functions with that relative property?

Yes, we do it all the time! :smile:

Brilliant, thankyou!

1. How do you prove that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos*?

In order to prove that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos*, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. This identity states that the sum of the squares of the sine and cosine of any angle is equal to 1. Therefore, the only possible solution for a^2 + b^2 = 1 is if both a and b are equal to either sin* or cos*, as they are the only values that satisfy this identity.

2. Why is it important to prove that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos*?

Proving that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos* is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the sine and cosine functions. It also allows us to make mathematical calculations and solve problems involving these trigonometric functions with more ease and accuracy.

3. Can you provide an example of how to prove a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos*?

Yes, for example, if we let a = sin x and b = cos x, then a^2 + b^2 = (sin x)^2 + (cos x)^2 = sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. This shows that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one solution, which is sin x and cos x.

4. Are there any exceptions to the proof that a^2 + b^2 = 1 has only one sin* & cos*?

No, there are no exceptions to this proof. As long as the values of a and b satisfy the Pythagorean identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, then a^2 + b^2 = 1 will have only one solution, which is sin* and cos*.

5. How can this proof be applied in real-world situations?

This proof can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. For example, it can be used to calculate the distance between two points on a map or to determine the height of a building using trigonometric functions.