Need a easy understanding book on Tensor.

In summary, Jason found a book that can be helpful for beginners in learning tensors. He also found that a book specifically about tensors is better because it starts with the basics and goes more in depth.
yungman
I am studying electrodynamics and I ran across tansor problem. I want to find a book that explain this in a very easy way so I can understand. I have materials that get into nth dimension. It get confusing. I just want to learn the basics in a very easy understandable way.

Thanks

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to just learn the systematic aspect of tensor analysis as in how to manipulate and calculate all tensor related quantities without the formalism of manifolds, fiber bundles etc. then I suggest Schaum's Outlines for Tensor Calculus.

yungman said:
I am studying electrodynamics and I ran across tansor problem. I want to find a book that explain this in a very easy way so I can understand. I have materials that get into nth dimension. It get confusing. I just want to learn the basics in a very easy understandable way.

Thanks

Alan

What do you mean n-th dimension? I've only ever seen a rank 3 tensor in e/m.

Pengwuino said:
What do you mean n-th dimension? I've only ever seen a rank 3 tensor in e/m.

I was looking at Schaum's Vector analysis. It has a small section on it and call out for n space! Yes, in EM, I need only 3 space, that's the reason I am looking for more simple type.

My head is already spinning studying PDE and all to study electrodynamics, I just want to learn the simple ones for ED. But not so simple to the point of just follow the equation though. I find Schaums are too brief to really for learning.

Googling around, I found "A Quick introduction to tensor analysis" free for download:
http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0403252

I haven't read it, so I don't know how good it is, but the price is right.

yungman said:
I was looking at Schaum's Vector analysis. It has a small section on it and call out for n space! Yes, in EM, I need only 3 space, that's the reason I am looking for more simple type.

My head is already spinning studying PDE and all to study electrodynamics, I just want to learn the simple ones for ED. But not so simple to the point of just follow the equation though. I find Schaums are too brief to really for learning.

There's a Schaum's quide specifically for Tensor Calculus. It starts with the basic notion of tensors, NOT VECTORS. It's probably what you're looking for. The guide contains problems and solutions.

I would second the free and schaum's outline on tensor calculus as places to start, since they are cheap. (I too found the schaum on vector analysis to be inadequate to teach tensors.) IF those don't work for you, I really like "a brief on tensor analysis" by simmonds. I worked through it and thought it was excellent.

good luck,

jason

Thanks for all the suggestion, I am going to look into these.

Alan

jasonRF said:
I would second the free and schaum's outline on tensor calculus as places to start, since they are cheap. (I too found the schaum on vector analysis to be inadequate to teach tensors.) IF those don't work for you, I really like "a brief on tensor analysis" by simmonds. I worked through it and thought it was excellent.

good luck,

jason

Thanks

I just ordered one on Amazon for $36 free shipping.

brocks said:
Googling around, I found "A Quick introduction to tensor analysis" free for download:
http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0403252

I haven't read it, so I don't know how good it is, but the price is right.

Thanks

I already download this. I am just going to get a few so if I get stuck on one, I can go on the other.

What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that is used to represent data in multiple dimensions. It is often used to describe the relationships between different physical quantities, such as velocity, force, and acceleration.

What is the purpose of a tensor?

The purpose of a tensor is to provide a framework for understanding and analyzing complex data sets. It allows for the representation of data in multiple dimensions, making it easier to identify patterns and relationships within the data.

How is a tensor different from a matrix?

A tensor is similar to a matrix in that both are mathematical objects with multiple dimensions. However, a tensor can have an arbitrary number of dimensions, while a matrix is limited to two dimensions.

What are some real-world applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including image and signal processing, machine learning, and quantum mechanics. They are also commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model complex systems and processes.

Is it necessary to have advanced mathematical knowledge to understand tensors?

While tensors can be a complex mathematical concept, there are many books available that provide an easy understanding of the topic. Some basic knowledge of linear algebra and calculus may be helpful, but it is not necessary to have advanced mathematical knowledge to understand tensors.