Steady state solution of a differential equation

In summary, the question asks for a steady state solution of a differential equation, and the student is having trouble understanding the relevance of an exponential expression in the LHS.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey.

I am taking a MATLAB class and my instructor is absolutely horrendous. he does not teach us anything, but asks questions on everything.

I'm having a problem with the following question:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/55811089.png/

What is a steady state solution of a differential equation? How can i solve the attached problem in matlab?

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:

Homework Statement

Hey.

I am taking a MATLAB class and my instructor is absolutely horrendous. he does not teach us anything, but asks questions on everything.

I'm having a problem with the following question:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/55811089.png/

What is a steady state solution of a differential equation? How can i solve the attached problem in matlab?

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Steady-state means the solution is not changing with respect to time, that is, the first derivative is zero. However, when I solve that in Mathematica, I get:

[tex]\left\{\left\{y\to \text{Function}\left[\{t\},e^{\left(-\frac{2}{3}-\frac{\sqrt{19}}{3}\right) t} C[1]+e^{\left(-\frac{2}{3}+\frac{\sqrt{19}}{3}\right) t} C[2]+\frac{36 (17 \text{Cos}[2 t]-8 \text{Sin}[2 t])}{\left(-59+4 \sqrt{19}\right) \left(59+4 \sqrt{19}\right)}\right]\right\}\right\}[/tex]

so I don't see the relevance of that expression Acos(bt+c). Also, looking at the solution I don't see how it will ever reach a steady state.

asi123 said:

Homework Statement

I am taking a MATLAB class and my instructor is absolutely horrendous. he does not teach us anything, but asks questions on everything.I'm having a problem with the following question:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/55811089.png/What is a steady state solution of a differential equation?

Judging from the way the problem is stated, it looks to me like he is using the term "steady state" to refer to a particular solution of the non-homogeneous equation that doesn't include the complementary solution. Doesn't the question specifically say to find A,B, and C?

Maybe the question is referring to the way such systems can typically have a transient initial part that dies down and long-term settles down into a regular periodic 'forced' oscillation, that long term part being called the 'steady state'. You almost must have had examples in math and physics already.

Your LHS expressed in operator terms easily factorises into real factors with exponential solutions I think. (Though it alarms me to see one positive and one negative, making me wonder if this has such a steady state; maybe I am mistaken somehow:confused:.) Solve the equation and see how it behaves long-term. Oh, I see you have. The solution does not look right to me, but it does seem to have the problem I mentioned.

Last edited:

What is the steady state solution of a differential equation?

The steady state solution of a differential equation is a solution that remains constant over time. It is often used to describe the behavior of a system in which the input and output remain in equilibrium.

How is a steady state solution different from a general solution?

A steady state solution is a specific type of solution that remains constant over time, while a general solution is a set of all possible solutions to a differential equation. A steady state solution is unique and does not depend on initial conditions, while a general solution does depend on initial conditions.

What types of systems can be described by steady state solutions?

Steady state solutions can be used to describe a variety of systems, including physical systems, biological systems, and economic systems. They are often used in fields such as physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering.

How do you find the steady state solution of a differential equation?

The method for finding the steady state solution of a differential equation depends on the type of differential equation. In general, it involves setting the derivative equal to zero and solving the resulting equation. In some cases, it may also involve using boundary conditions or initial conditions.

What is the significance of the steady state solution in the study of dynamical systems?

The steady state solution is an important concept in the study of dynamical systems because it allows us to understand the long-term behavior of a system. It helps us identify stable and unstable equilibria and make predictions about the behavior of the system over time.