Why do we multiply probabilities for AND events?

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, when dealing with independent events, the probability of obtaining both events occurring at the same time (using the "AND" rule) is found by multiplying the probabilities of each event occurring individually. This is because the events are not mutually exclusive and can occur simultaneously. However, when the events are mutually exclusive (using the "OR" rule), the probabilities are added together. In the example of tossing two coins, the probability of obtaining a head and a tail is 1/4, found by multiplying the probabilities of each event (1/2 * 1/2). This is different from the probability of obtaining a head OR a tail, which is 1, found by adding the probabilities of each event (1/2 +
adjacent
Gold Member
Probability, The "AND"

Two coins are tossed.Find the probability of obtaining a hear OR a tail
Ans:P(head)+P(tail)
=1
I understand this

Again he tosses the coins.This time,what is the probability of obtaining a Head AND a tail?
This time we multiply, P(head) X P(tail)
=1/4

But why do we multiply?What's the logic?
P.S I understand the difference between AND and OR.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
But why do we multiply?What's the logic?
P.S I understand the difference between AND and OR.

the logic is that if the two events A and B are independent then we multiply the probabilities for AND:
P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B)​

if the two events A and B are mutually exclusive (non-everlapping), we add the probabilities for OR:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B)​

if the problem doesn't easily split into mutually exclusive events, then you may have to divide it up first

for example, with two coins each tossed once, there are four mutually exclusive events:

HH HT TH and TT​

P(head AND tail) = P(HT OR TH) = P(HT) + P(TH) = 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2

P(head on the first die AND tail on the second die) =P(head on the first die)*P(tail on the second die) = 1/2*1/2 = 1/4

(and P(head OR tail) = P(everything), so that's easy!

P(head on the first die OR tail on the second die) =P(HT OR HH OR TT) = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 3/4)

You are interpreting the phrase "a head or a tail" to refer to a sample space where an outcome is a single flip of a coin. You are interpreting the phrase "a head and a tail" to refer to a sample space where an outcome is 2 flips of a coin. So you are dealing with two different sample spaces.

I suggest you try to phrase your question using an example where the "And" and "Or" of events uses events that are in the same sample space.

Stephen Tashi said:
You are interpreting the phrase "a head or a tail" to refer to a sample space where an outcome is a single flip of a coin. You are interpreting the phrase "a head and a tail" to refer to a sample space where an outcome is 2 flips of a coin. So you are dealing with two different sample spaces.
What do you mean by Sample space?
I am using the same 2 coins over and over again.

And @tiny-tim
Thank you,but..
If the possible outcomes are HH HT TH TT,
then the probability of A head AND a tail should be 1/2
Then how is it 1/4? (1/2*1/2)

adjacent said:
If the possible outcomes are HH HT TH TT,
then the probability of A head AND a tail should be 1/2
Then how is it 1/4? (1/2*1/2)

it isn't!

(i assume you mean the probability that, looking at the two coins, you see one head and one tail)

are you confusing it with the different problem of the probability of a head on the first coin and a tail on the second coin (which are independent)? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

it isn't!

(i assume you mean the probability that, looking at the two coins, you see one head and one tail)

are you confusing it with the different problem of the probability of a head on the first coin and a tail on the second coin (which are independent)? :wink:
Is specifically mentioning the head on the first coin and the second coin important?
If so,What can be the answer for the question:What is the probability of obtaining a head and a tail?
(No coins mentioned)

adjacent said:
If so,What can be the answer for the question:What is the probability of obtaining a head and a tail?
(No coins mentioned)

there are only two faces showing

so "a head and a tail" must mean one head and one tail

that's either HT or TH

(if there were three coins, "obtaining a head and a tail" would mean at least one head and at least one tail, ie HHT HTH THH HTT THT or TTH)
Is specifically mentioning the head on the first coin and the second coin important?

yes, that would be only HT instead of HT or TH

But according to AND rule,
Probabilities of H and T is 1/4 since
P(H) =1/2 .
P(T) =1/2
1/2*1/2=1/4

adjacent said:
P(H) =1/2 .
P(T) =1/2
1/2*1/2=1/4

i don't understand what your H and T are :confused:

(since there are two coins)

tiny-tim said:
i don't understand what your H and T are :confused:

(since there are two coins)
H is head and T is tail.So Probability of H and T means Either HT or TH.
So that's 2/4=1/2 :confused:

adjacent said:
H is head and T is tail.So Probability of H and T means Either HT or TH.
So that's 2/4=1/2 :confused:

yes, P of one head and one tail = P(HT OR TH)

so that's P(HT) + P(TH) = 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2, as you say

but i don't understand what you meant by the following …
adjacent said:
P(H) =1/2 .
P(T) =1/2
1/2*1/2=1/4

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
but i don't understand what you meant by the following …...

A coin has two sides of which one side is Head ,So:1/2 is the probability of obtaining a Head.
A coin has two sides of which one side is Tail ,So:1/2 is the probability of obtaining a Tail.
So The probability of obtaining a Head AND a Tail is 1/2*1/2
=1/4

I know I am wrong somewhere. :frown:

but if you talk about one coin, you must always say which coin you mean
adjacent said:
Q-Find the probability of obtaining a Head AND a Tail.
A coin has two sides of which one side is Head ,So:1/2 is the probability of obtaining a Head.

on which coin? :confused:

(yes, i know it's the same on either coin, but you have to specify which coin or you can't go onto the next step)

let's try this …

there are four events each of which has probability 1/2 …

P(1=H) = P(1=T) = P(2=H) = P(2=T) = 1/2 …

which of those four events were you trying to combine to find "the probability of obtaining a Head AND a Tail"? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
but if you talk about one coin, you must always say which coin you mean
on which coin? :confused:
Let's go to the first Question in the OP.
"He tosses the coins.What is the probability of obtaining a Head AND a tail?"
So that means no coin is specified.

adjacent said:
Let's go to the first Question in the OP.
"He tosses the coins.What is the probability of obtaining a Head AND a tail?"
So that means no coin is specified.
The question in the OP was ambiguous. Does it mean
  • What is the probability of obtaining heads on the first flip and tails on the second or
  • What is the probability of obtaining one heads and one tails on the two flips?
With the first interpretation, the answer is 1/4. With the second, it's 1/2.

Likes 1 person
adjacent said:
What do you mean by Sample space?

I mean the space of outcomes for an experiment. If you don't understand that, I think you should study how the phrase is used in probability theory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_space

Your use of the "and rule" is incorrect. What is true is that if P and Q are independent events, then the probability that P and Q happen in that order is P(P)P(Q). The probability that Q and P happen in that order is P(Q)P(P). The probability that P and Q happen in either order is P(P)P(Q)+ P(Q)P(P)= 2P(P)P(Q)

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much everyone,I have got the answer now.I was just starting with probability.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability formula.

3. What is the "The AND" rule in probability?

"The AND" rule, also known as the multiplication rule, states that the probability of two independent events occurring together is equal to the product of their individual probabilities.

4. How is the "The AND" rule used in real-life situations?

The "The AND" rule is used to calculate the probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously. For example, the probability of rolling a 2 and a 4 on a six-sided die in one roll can be calculated using the "The AND" rule.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

Independent events are those where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events where the outcome of one event affects the outcome of another event.