Register to reply

Penguin diagrams and CP violation

by Einj
Tags: diagrams, penguin, violation
Share this thread:
Einj
Apr10-14, 11:02 AM
P: 305
Hi everyone. I have been studying CP violation in kaon systems. I would like to know is someone can explain why, to leading order, strong penguin diagrams (i.e. involving a gluon) only contribute to the [itex]K\to (\pi\pi)_{I=0}[/itex] amplitude, while the isospin 2 amplitude is given by the electro-weak penguins (i.e. involving a photon or a Z boson).

Thank you very much

Edit: I can add more information to the question. Take the gluon penguin diagram. It contains a [itex](\bar ds)[/itex] current which is an SU(3) octet and another current which is a flavor singlet. Therefore, it transform as an [itex](8_L,1_R)[/itex] representation of [itex]SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R[/itex]. In many books I've found that this implies that it can only carry a change in isospin [itex]\Delta I=1/2[/itex]. Can anyone explain why?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
andrien
Apr10-14, 04:59 PM
P: 1,020
Gluonic penguin operators do not differentiate between a final state uu- and final state dd-,so they only contribute to final states of zero isospin.Those electroweak contribute for both.And that ΔI=1/2 selection rule has it's origin in nonperturbative hadronic physics,and I don't think there is any good explanation for it.It is rather an experimental data to fit the small value of I=2 to I=0.
Einj
Apr10-14, 05:29 PM
Thank you very much for the answer! Could you explain a little bit further why they don't differential between the two final states and why this means that they only contribute to I=0 final states? Thank you very much

andrien
Apr11-14, 08:31 AM
Penguin diagrams and CP violation

The gluonic penguin operators contain factor like ∑(q-q)V+/-A,Which contribute equally to uu- and dd-,while the electroweak part brings in factors like ∑eq(q-q)V+/-A.Eletroweak penguins with different final states acquire different factors like eq=2/3 for q=u and eq=-1/3 for q=d.You can show now that gluonic ones only contributes to I=0 case.
Einj
Apr11-14, 09:23 AM
I'm sorry to bother you but that's exactly what I can't show.

Edit: I found the following properties on Donoghue's book. Could you tell me if I'm doing correctly? The action of the isospin rising and lowering operators on the quark fields are:
$$
I_+d=u,\;\; I_+\bar u=-\bar d,\;\;I_-u=d,\;\;I_-\bar d=-\bar u,
$$
all the others are zero. Therefore, we have, in the case of QCD penguins:
$$
I_+(\bar u u+\bar d d)=(I_+\bar u)u+\bar u(I_+u)+(I_+\bar d)d+\bar d(I_+d)=\bar d u-\bar d u=0
$$
and
$$
I_-(\bar u u+\bar d d)=(I_-\bar u)u+\bar u(I_-u)+(I_-\bar d)d+\bar d(I_-d)=-\bar u d+\bar u d=0.
$$

Therefore, since both the lowering and rising operators give zero it must be an I=0 operator. Is that correct?
andrien
Apr11-14, 01:23 PM
You can use ladder operators,but see simply that quark and antiquark pair can have isospin of 0 or 1,and the 1 case is already ruled out as per symmetry requirement.The state symmetric in interchange of u and d is indeed isospin zero state.
Einj
Apr11-14, 02:16 PM
Got it! Thanks

Register to reply