Register to reply

What's the function of capacitors in dynamos?

by ChrisToffer
Tags: capacitors, dynamos, function
Share this thread:
ChrisToffer
Apr29-14, 07:58 AM
P: 13
what is the function of the cap 104, why is it there? what's the function of this cap in the dynamo.. i know caps are used in motors for P.F correction, but what about the dynamos in toys??
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00502.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
jim hardy
Apr29-14, 08:41 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,497
probably to 'absorb'(or suppress) the electrical noise from sparking at the motor's brushes.
Observe it's been placed as close to the noise source as physically possible which is good practice.
Baluncore
Apr29-14, 10:10 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,709
I agree.
That looks more like a DC motor than a dynamo. The worm gear confirms it.
The 104 capacitor is 10 0000 pF = 100nF and is there to prevent radiation of RF noise from the sparking at the brushes.

Neumeric
Apr29-14, 09:38 PM
P: 9
What's the function of capacitors in dynamos?

Dynamo in the US is an outdated term that used to mean generator and/or alternator not sure which. I was wondering if dynamo might just be Aussie for motor in the US?
jim hardy
Apr30-14, 08:01 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,497
in 1890's it referred to a DC machine which of course can both generate and motor.

As late as 1963 Austin-Healey 3000 labelled its dashboard ammeter with word "Dynamo"
but here the term is quaint.

I once used a small motor like the one pictured and controlled it with a 555 IC. Need for bypass capacitor at motor was immediately obvious.

Register to reply