Young double slit experiment

In summary, Young used a monochromatic light source, meaning light of a single wavelength, achieved by using sunlight. The purpose of the single slit was to ensure that only light from the single slit reached the double slit, keeping the path length the same for light hitting the double slits. Destructive interference occurs when the path length difference between light from each slit is 1/2 wavelength. It is unclear how Young selected a particular wavelength for his monochromatic source, but using a sodium lamp is a common method nowadays.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
hello,

i am doing a work sheet on the title of this thread and i do not have the answer sheet for the questions so can some one please go through my answers and see if i am correct

Young used a monochromatic light source
a) wat does this mean?
my ans: light of a single wavelength

b) how did he achieve this?
my ans: by using sunlight

c)wat is the purpose of the single slit?
my ans: so that only light from the single slit will reach the double slit

d)when does destructive interference occur?
when the wavelength is 1/2 of the wavelength of the bright fringes

Physics news on Phys.org
Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
Young used a monochromatic light source
a) wat does this mean?
my ans: light of a single wavelength
That's the correct meaning of monochromatic.

b) how did he achieve this?
my ans: by using sunlight
Sunlight is not monochromatic.

c)wat is the purpose of the single slit?
my ans: so that only light from the single slit will reach the double slit
Well, yes, but why is that important? (The key is that it keeps the path length the same for light hitting the double slits.)

d)when does destructive interference occur?
when the wavelength is 1/2 of the wavelength of the bright fringes
Not sure what that means. Hint: What must be the path length difference between light from each slit arriving at a point on the screen so that there is destructive interference?

thank u doc

for the qn 2 , wat then qualifies as a monochromatic light?

for the last qn, i mean to say the path difference between the 2 sources must be 1/2 wavelength

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
for the qn 2 , wat then qualifies as a monochromatic light?
I don't know what Young did in his orginal experiments to get a monochromatic source, but he could have used a filter or a prism to select a single wavelength. (If you don't use a monochromatic source, then you'll get overlapping fringes from each wavelength.) Nowadays, getting a monochromatic source is easy using lasers.

for the last qn, i mean to say the path difference between the 2 sources must be 1/2 wavelength
Good. The path difference of the light from each slit must be 1/2 wavelength for destructive interference.

Doc Al said:
I don't know what Young did in his orginal experiments to get a monochromatic source, but he could have used a filter or a prism to select a single wavelength. (If you don't use a monochromatic source, then you'll get overlapping fringes from each wavelength.) Nowadays, getting a monochromatic source is easy using lasers.
Good. The path difference of the light from each slit must be 1/2 wavelength for destructive interference.

I assume he used a sodium lamp - it's monochromatic enough (not coherent though - that doesn't mean it's impossible to do but it makes it bl--dy hard (speaking from experience here :cry: )

I believe Young did use sunlight in his original experiment.

brewnog said:
I believe Young did use sunlight in his original experiment.
Absolutely. I just don't know what pains, if any, he took to select a particular wavelength.

What is the Young double slit experiment?

The Young double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

What is the purpose of the Young double slit experiment?

The purpose of the Young double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave nature of light and to study the phenomenon of interference. It also helps to validate the wave theory of light proposed by Thomas Young in the 19th century.

What are the materials needed for the Young double slit experiment?

The materials needed for the Young double slit experiment include a laser or light source, two narrow slits, a screen or photographic plate, and a dark room. Optional materials may include a lens, a diffraction grating, and a ruler or measuring device.

What is the procedure for conducting the Young double slit experiment?

The procedure for conducting the Young double slit experiment involves setting up the materials in a dark room, aligning the two slits and the screen, and turning on the light source. The resulting interference pattern can then be observed and measured. Optional variations of the experiment may involve changing the distance between the slits and the screen, or using different light sources or materials.

What are the real-world applications of the Young double slit experiment?

The Young double slit experiment has many real-world applications, including in the fields of optics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics. It has helped scientists understand the nature of light and its behavior, and has also led to the development of technologies such as diffraction gratings and interferometers. Additionally, the principles of interference and diffraction are used in various imaging techniques such as holography and electron microscopy.