New inexpensive incendiary device

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary: It's a good source of fiber (both soluble and insoluble), and provides a good kick-start to your morning.In summary, Strawberry Pop Tarts have been known to be an inexpensive source of incendiary devices if left in a toaster for too long. The flames emitted can reach heights of 10-18 inches. The effectiveness of Pop Tarts as an incendiary was independently verified and documented in an article by Dave Barry. This phenomenon is likely due to the high sugar content of Pop Tarts. However, this is not a new issue, as fires caused by malfunctioning toasters are a common occurrence. It is important to remember to unplug the toaster before attempting to remove burnt toast with a metal utensil.
Smurf
Strawberry Pop Tarts may be an inexpensive source of incendiary devices. Toasters which fail to eject Pop Tarts cause the Pop Tarts to emit flames 10-18 inches in height. Last year, an article by well-known newspaper columnist Dave Barry noted that Kellogg's Strawberry Pop Tarts could be made to emit flames "like a blow torch" if left in a toaster too long. . . The present work describes our independent verification and experience with SPT-based combustion. . .
http://prorev.com/511poptart.gif

http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn... I'm getting some of those.

Where are the controls? Fires started by burning things in malfunctioning toasters are nothing new...ask the local fire department. Is there any reason to think a pop tart is anything special compared to anything else that burns in a toaster?

You forgot the warning:
Don't try this at home!

i would bread would work better, since it's full of holes that would make for better ventilation than a dense poptart. maybe the poptart is made of a more flammable material. :confused:

Its the sugars, which make it burn so well.

hypatia said:
Its the sugars, which make it burn so well.
And don't forget all of that ammonium nitrate that they used to fertilize the strawberries. :tongue:

I hope the military doesn't see this. They will be stuffing those pop tarts into incendiary artillery shells. and pop tarting the enemy into submission.

fourier jr said:
i would bread would work better, since it's full of holes that would make for better ventilation than a dense poptart. maybe the poptart is made of a more flammable material. :confused:

For some reason bread just turns black and sets there and smokes.

REMEMBER TO UNPLUG THE TOASTER BEFORE DIGGING OUT THE BURNT TOAST WITH A TABLE FORK!

Moonbear said:
Where are the controls? Fires started by burning things in malfunctioning toasters are nothing new...ask the local fire department. Is there any reason to think a pop tart is anything special compared to anything else that burns in a toaster?

You forgot the warning:
Don't try this at home!

Actually I did try it a few years ago. (Outdoors of course) As the link stated if set on the highest setting some toasters, mine included, will start the pop tart fires. Even worse, my son and I put an extra coil spring under the pop up mechanism and the toaster actually tossed flaming pop tarts out onto the sidewalk.

edit: I no longer have that toaster.

Last edited:
edward said:
REMEMBER TO UNPLUG THE TOASTER BEFORE DIGGING OUT THE BURNT TOAST WITH A TABLE FORK!

This is a physics website, I would hope that people know this :bugeye:

If not, natural selection, here they come...

moose said:
This is a physics website, I would hope that people know this :bugeye:

If not, natural selection, here they come...
but...we're in the dungeon...:uhh: :bugeye:

Nitrocellulose also has this effect on toasters.

Mk said:
Nitrocellulose also has this effect on toasters.
I was not aware that Nitrocelluose was a popular breakfast snack.:wink:

Well you're not aware of a lot of things, are you? :grumpy:

edward said:
I was not aware that Nitrocelluose was a popular breakfast snack.:wink:
It's not a snack in itself; it's a common filler in certain brands of breakfast burrito.

1. What is a "New inexpensive incendiary device"?

The "New inexpensive incendiary device" is a newly developed device that is designed to start a fire in a cost-effective manner. It is typically small in size and can be easily transported and deployed.

2. How does the "New inexpensive incendiary device" work?

The specifics of how the "New inexpensive incendiary device" works may vary depending on the design, but generally, it contains a flammable material or substance that can be ignited using a fuse or electronic mechanism. Once ignited, the device will release the flammable material and start a fire.

3. Is the "New inexpensive incendiary device" safe to use?

The safety of the "New inexpensive incendiary device" depends on its proper use and handling. As with any device that involves fire, caution should be taken when using it. It is important to follow the instructions and safety precautions provided by the manufacturer to avoid accidents or injuries.

4. What are the potential uses for the "New inexpensive incendiary device"?

The "New inexpensive incendiary device" may have various uses, such as controlled burning for land management, starting campfires, or as a tool for emergency response teams. However, it is essential to check and comply with any local laws and regulations before using the device.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with the "New inexpensive incendiary device"?

The environmental impact of the "New inexpensive incendiary device" depends on the materials used and the proper use and disposal of the device. It is crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions and dispose of the device responsibly to minimize any potential environmental impact.

Back