Faraday's Induced Emf: Help & Solutions Needed

In summary, the speaker is struggling with three problems involving circular loops and magnetic fields. They are seeking help and guidance on how to solve the problems. The speaker also clarifies some mistakes they made, such as using the incorrect radius for the loop, and thanks the person for their assistance.
Kali8972
I'm reposting this because my homework is due in an hour and I still have not received help on how to solve this. I understand now that the the loop is equal to one. But could someone be generous enough to explain to me what the area is on problem 2 and 3 and why .503 is wrong for question 1?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the following questions. I was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. [GianPSE3 29.P.002.] A 20 cm diameter circular loop of wire lies in a plane perpendicular to a 0.80 T magnetic field. It is removed from the field in 0.10 s. What is the average induced emf?

2. [GianPSE3 29.P.005.] A 8.0 cm diameter loop of wire is initially oriented perpendicular to a 1.2 T magnetic field. It is rotated so that its plane is parallel to the field direction in 0.40 s. What is the average induced emf in the loop?

3. [GianPSE3 29.P.006.] A 7.6 cm diameter wire coil is initially oriented so that its plane is perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.63 T pointing up. During the course of 0.12 s, the field is changed to one of 0.25T pointing down. What is the average induced emf in the coil?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Work:
http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem1.jpg
http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem2.jpg
http://www.pitt.edu/~slm17/problem3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the radius is .2m, not .10
.10 is what you wrote for seconds.
the area of a circle is ╥r^2

a loop would be one turn
a coil would be multiple turns

Last edited:
Thanks! Stupid me haha! Got them all right now! Thanks!

1. What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that when a conductor moves through a magnetic field or when there is a change in the magnetic field through a conductor, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in the conductor. This phenomenon is the basis for the generation of electricity in power plants and the functioning of generators and motors.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

The induced EMF can be calculated using the equation: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. This equation is known as Faraday's law and is used to determine the strength of the induced EMF in a given situation.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor moves through the magnetic field, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion. Additionally, the number of turns in the coil and the area of the coil also play a role in determining the magnitude of induced EMF.

4. What are some real-life applications of Faraday's law?

Faraday's law has numerous applications in modern technology. It is used in the generation of electricity in power plants, as well as in generators and motors. It is also the principle behind induction cooktops and wireless charging technology. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is used in devices such as transformers, electric motors, and generators.

5. How can I solve problems involving Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

To solve problems involving Faraday's law, you will need to use the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt) and plug in the given values for N, dΦ/dt, and any other relevant variables. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the induced EMF, as it is determined by the direction of the change in magnetic flux. Practice problems and examples can also help you better understand how to apply Faraday's law in different situations.