Calculating Refraction Angles of Light Through a Prism | Snell's Law | n=1.46

In summary, when light of wavelength 700 nm is incident on a fused quartz prism at an angle of 80.0°, with an apex angle of 60.0°, and using the value of n=1.46, Snell's law can be used to calculate the following angles: (a) the angle of refraction at the first surface is 42.4 degrees, (b) the angle of incidence at the second surface is 62.4 degrees, (c) the angle of refraction at the second surface is unknown, and (d) the angle between the incident and emerging rays is also unknown
cmilho10
Light of wavelength 700 nm is incident on the face of a fused quartz prism at an angle of 80.0° (with respect to the normal to the surface). The apex angle of the prism is 60.0°.

Use the value of n from Figure 35.20, to calculate the following angles.
(a) the angle of refraction at the first surface
(b) the angle of incidence at the second surface
(c) the angle of refraction at the second surface
(d) the angle between the incident and emerging rays

n=1.46

I used snell's law in order to find (a) which is 42 degrees, but when i try to do the geometry for the other parts it says my answers are wrong (i got 18 degrees for part b). It is hard to explain without drawing a picture exactly where i went wrong, but if anybody has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
cmilho10 said:
Light of wavelength 700 nm is incident on the face of a fused quartz prism at an angle of 80.0° (with respect to the normal to the surface). The apex angle of the prism is 60.0°.
Use the value of n from Figure 35.20, to calculate the following angles.
(a) the angle of refraction at the first surface
(b) the angle of incidence at the second surface
(c) the angle of refraction at the second surface
(d) the angle between the incident and emerging rays
n=1.46
I used snell's law in order to find (a) which is 42 degrees, but when i try to do the geometry for the other parts it says my answers are wrong (i got 18 degrees for part b).

I have to say I don't find any error. Using Snell's law you have indeed 42.4 degrees for (a), and if the apex angle is 60 degrees, this means that you have 17.6 degrees (60 - 42.4) on the other side for (b) wrt to the other normal...

What is Snell's Law and how does it relate to refraction angles of light through a prism?

Snell's Law is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a light ray passing through a boundary between two different materials. In the case of a prism, Snell's Law can be used to calculate the angle of refraction as the light enters and exits the prism.

What is the index of refraction and how does it affect the refraction angle of light?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can bend or slow down light as it passes through. It is denoted by the symbol "n" and is a crucial factor in calculating the refraction angle of light through a prism. A higher index of refraction means a greater change in the direction of the light ray as it enters and exits the prism.

How do you calculate the refraction angle of light through a prism using Snell's Law?

To calculate the refraction angle of light through a prism, you will need to know the angle of incidence, the index of refraction of the material the light ray is entering (n1), and the index of refraction of the material it is exiting (n2). Then, you can use the formula: sin(θ1) / sin(θ2) = n2/n1, where θ1 is the angle of incidence and θ2 is the angle of refraction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the refraction angle of light through a prism?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the refraction angle of light through a prism, including the precision of the angle measurements, the accuracy of the index of refraction values, and any external factors that may influence the path of the light ray, such as impurities in the materials or uneven surfaces on the prism.

Why is calculating the refraction angle of light through a prism important in scientific research?

Calculating the refraction angle of light through a prism is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand and predict how light will behave as it passes through different materials. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as optics, astronomy, and materials science, where the manipulation and control of light are essential for various applications and experiments.