Does it take work to hold an atom together?

• Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Work
In summary: But the term "Work" has a clear definition. You do work when the force you apply causes a displacement. Now by simply knowing that the nucleus isn't moving on average (do you see your coffee cup moving when you apply no force to it?), you can immediately deduce the obvious.Applied force doesn't imply work done. Only applied force that resulted in a net displacement in the direction of that force results in a work done. This is what is defined by "work".To complete the explanation, you need to look up the "strong force", which is the force between nucleons that is the "glue".
Lucretius
I was wondering if it took any physical work to hold an atom together. The reason I am asking is because someone had asked about the proposed Heat Death of the universe. My thought was that only elementary particles and radiation would exist because everything else would have broken up. The other person stated that atoms would still exist because it does not take work to hold them together. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
No work is done in holding a stable atom together. Recall how work is defined.

W=Fd, but because there is no d, there is no work?

Yes. That is correct.

Hello,

I'm not sure that "d" is constant. The strongforce and electromagnetic force work against each other. Since the strongforce is caused by gluon exchange between protons the force-time response should look like a delta function. And if the electromagnetic interaction between the particles is continuous with time I would expect dynamic behavior for the protons. This implies that work is being done to hold the protons together. However, I'm not a particle physics person so don't take my explanation as gospel.

Best Regards

Modey3

i tihnk there is no d...so w=fd there is no work

Modey3 said:
Hello,

I'm not sure that "d" is constant. The strongforce and electromagnetic force work against each other. Since the strongforce is caused by gluon exchange between protons the force-time response should look like a delta function. And if the electromagnetic interaction between the particles is continuous with time I would expect dynamic behavior for the protons. This implies that work is being done to hold the protons together. However, I'm not a particle physics person so don't take my explanation as gospel.

Best Regards

Modey3

Be very careful here. First of all, gluons just doesn't hold "protons" together. Rather it is binding agent between all "hardrons", i.e. anything with quarks. This includes protons, neutrons, mesons, etc.

Secondly, "holds atom together" can mean way too many things. If it means making sure the electrons don't fly apart, then this can be as simple as electromagnetic intereaction (no strong force here), or as complicated as the inclusion of electroweak component.

As with many other questions here, until the OP produces a clearly explanation of the question, things are left in a fuzzy state.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Be very careful here. First of all, gluons just doesn't hold "protons" together. Rather it is binding agent between all "hardrons", i.e. anything with quarks. This includes protons, neutrons, mesons, etc.

Secondly, "holds atom together" can mean way too many things. If it means making sure the electrons don't fly apart, then this can be as simple as electromagnetic intereaction (no strong force here), or as complicated as the inclusion of electroweak component.

As with many other questions here, until the OP produces a clearly explanation of the question, things are left in a fuzzy state.

Zz.

By doing work, I meant I thought it took work to hold two protons together in the atomic nucleus. Two like charges should repel, so at first I thought work was being done to hold them together and to negate the electromagnetic force which should cause the two protons to push apart.

Lucretius said:
By doing work, I meant I thought it took work to hold two protons together in the atomic nucleus. Two like charges should repel, so at first I thought work was being done to hold them together and to negate the electromagnetic force which should cause the two protons to push apart.

But the term "Work" has a clear definition. You do work when the force you apply causes a displacement. Now by simply knowing that the nucleus isn't moving on average (do you see your coffee cup moving when you apply no force to it?), you can immediately deduce the obvious.

Applied force doesn't imply work done. Only applied force that resulted in a net displacement in the direction of that force results in a work done. This is what is defined by "work".

To complete the explanation, you need to look up the "strong force", which is the force between nucleons that is the "glue".

Zz.

1. What is the force that holds an atom together?

The force that holds an atom together is called the strong nuclear force. It is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak nuclear force.

2. How does the strong nuclear force hold an atom together?

The strong nuclear force acts between the protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom. It overcomes the repulsive force between positively charged protons and holds the nucleus together.

3. Does the strong nuclear force act on electrons as well?

No, the strong nuclear force only acts on particles that contain quarks, such as protons and neutrons. Electrons are not affected by the strong nuclear force.

4. Is the strong nuclear force the only force that holds an atom together?

No, while the strong nuclear force is the strongest force within the nucleus, there are other forces that hold an atom together. The electromagnetic force, for example, holds the electrons in orbit around the nucleus.

5. Can an atom fall apart without the strong nuclear force?

Yes, if the strong nuclear force is not strong enough to overcome the repulsive force between protons, an atom can fall apart. This is known as nuclear instability or radioactive decay.