Nature of image formed by a plane mirror

In summary, the conversation covers topics related to the formation of images in plane mirrors and pin hole cameras. It is discussed that a real image is formed by a convergent beam of light, and that a virtual image is formed by a divergent beam of light. The nature of the image seen on the screen of a pin hole camera is debated, with the conclusion that it is an inverted image. The conversation also includes a question about the number of observable images when a ray is reflected successively from two inclined mirrors, with the final answer being five.
Amith2006
Sir,
1) A beam of light incident on a plane mirror forms a real image on reflection. It is said that the incident beam in that case is convergent. Is it true?
I think it is due to the fact that a plane mirror normally forms virtual images of real object. In order that a real image be formed by it, the object should be virtual and only a convergent beam of light can produce a virtual object. Is my argument right?
2) What is the nature of the picture seen on the screen of a pin hole camera? Is it an image or a Shadow?
I think it’s an image. What do you say Sir?
3) A ray reflected successively from 2 plane mirrors inclined at a certain angle undergoes a deviation of 300 degrees. How many images are observable?
I solved it in the following way:
We know that the deviation produced by 2 plane mirrors inclined at an angle y is 180 + 2y.
Therefore 180 + 2y = 300
y = 60
Here it is assumed that the object is placed symmetrically between the 2 inclined mirrors. We know that number of images observed = (360/y) – 1
= 5
Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
Sir,
1) A beam of light incident on a plane mirror forms a real image on reflection. It is said that the incident beam in that case is convergent. Is it true?
I think it is due to the fact that a plane mirror normally forms virtual images of real object. In order that a real image be formed by it, the object should be virtual and only a convergent beam of light can produce a virtual object. Is my argument right?
The rays from an object always diverge. The plane mirror does not change the divergence - they just reflect them. A real image is formed by converging rays. A virtual image is one that appears to originate at the point the rays start diverging.
2) What is the nature of the picture seen on the screen of a pin hole camera? Is it an image or a Shadow?
I think it’s an image.
Why do you think it is an image? You have a 50-50 chance just by guessing. You have to explain your reasoning.

Amith,

What is with the "Sir"? This is an equal opportunity board! Women can respond too.

AM

Sir,
I guessed this because a pin hole camera forms an inverted image and the shadow of an upright object will never be inverted. You didn't say anything about the 3rd question. I will certainly introduce the F factor in my future queries.

1. What is a plane mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light in a predictable manner. It is made of a highly reflective material, such as glass or metal, and has a uniform surface.

2. What is the nature of the image formed by a plane mirror?

The image formed by a plane mirror is virtual, meaning it cannot be touched or projected onto a screen. It is also upright, meaning it is oriented in the same direction as the object being reflected. The image is the same size as the object and is located behind the mirror at the same distance as the object is in front of the mirror.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the nature of the image formed by a plane mirror?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle between the incident ray (incoming light) and the normal (a line perpendicular to the mirror's surface), does not affect the nature of the image formed by a plane mirror. The reflected ray will always be reflected at the same angle as the incident ray, resulting in the same image characteristics.

4. Can a plane mirror produce a real image?

No, a plane mirror cannot produce a real image. Real images are formed when the reflected rays actually converge at a point, allowing the image to be projected onto a screen. Since a plane mirror reflects light in a predictable manner, the reflected rays do not converge and a real image cannot be formed.

5. What is the practical use of understanding the nature of the image formed by a plane mirror?

Understanding the nature of the image formed by a plane mirror is important in many areas, such as optics, photography, and architecture. It helps us understand how light behaves when it reflects off of a smooth surface, and allows us to create accurate reflections and images in various applications. It also helps us understand the concept of symmetry, as the image formed by a plane mirror is a perfect reflection of the object.