Calculation of the Cosmological Constant

In summary: Thanks for the link.In summary, the conversation discusses a recently published paper (gr-qc/0609004) about the global characteristics of differential structures and its implications for computing the cosmological constant. The authors are looking forward to hearing Thorsten's opinion about it once the paper is posted on arXiv.org. Helge provides a link to an advance copy of the paper and mentions that it will be officially posted on Sunday night. Thorsten expresses excitement about reading the paper and thanks Helge for the link.
torsten
Hallo,

perhaps you remind our last paper (gr-qc/0511089) about the local characteristics of differential structures. Meanwhile we examined the global characteristics and found a way to compute the cosmological constant. It would be nice to hear your opinion about it!

See http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0609004"

Torsten and Helge

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome back Thorsten!
I don't believe your paper has been posted on the arxiv yet. When I followed your link I got a request to log on, as if I were trying to post or edit a paper. And when I wento to the arxiv site notremally, all the newest gr-qc papers wer still August dated, 0608. It should be there tomorrow and we can look at it then.

torsten said:
Hallo,

perhaps you remind our last paper (gr-qc/0511089) about the local characteristics of differential structures. Meanwhile we examined the global characteristics and found a way to compute the cosmological constant. It would be nice to hear your opinion about it!

See http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0609004"

Torsten and Helge

TORSTEN HEY!
so glad to see you back!

I am sure your paper will be available in just 3 hours from now.
We will be looking forward to seeing it.

thanks for letting us know,
best regards to you and Helge

It seems that arXiv.org update the list sunday night. In the meanwhile you can get the paper here http://www.qc.fraunhofer.de/qg/0609004.pdf"

best regards
helge

thanks Helge,
I was expecting it to be posted on arxiv at 5PM pacific today, but then I remembered it is Friday so no posting :(

I'm glad to have an advance copy. Just printed it off and will have a look.

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a mathematical term that is used to explain the expansion of the universe. It is represented by the Greek letter lambda (Λ) and is a constant value that appears in Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

2. How is the cosmological constant calculated?

The cosmological constant is calculated by using complex mathematical equations, such as Einstein's field equations and the Friedmann equations. These equations take into account various factors, such as the density of matter and energy in the universe, to determine the value of the cosmological constant.

3. What is the significance of the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is significant because it helps us understand the expansion of the universe and the overall structure of the universe. It also plays a role in the formation of galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. How does the cosmological constant affect the universe?

The cosmological constant affects the universe by causing it to expand at an accelerating rate. This means that the distance between galaxies is increasing, and the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate over time.

5. Can the value of the cosmological constant change?

The value of the cosmological constant is currently thought to be constant, but it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some theories suggest that the value of the cosmological constant may change over time, while others propose that it may be different in other areas of the universe.