Can a statement imply itself without being true or false?

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
In summary: However, when it comes to self-referential statements, things get a bit trickier. The idea that a statement is true if and only if it implies itself is a slippery slope, as shown by your examples of THIS=TRUE and THIS=FALSE.In summary, self-referential statements can be problematic and often lead to paradoxes. While it may seem intuitive that a statement is true if and only if it implies itself, this can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions. It's important to carefully consider the implications of self-referential statements in order to avoid logical pitfalls.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've been doing some thinking on self-referencing statements and the problems they imply. For example:
THIS=TRUE is both true and false
THIS=FALSE is neither true nor false
THIS>TRUE is both true and false
THIS>FALSE is neither true nor false
THIS > X implies itself and x (using the fact that THIS = (THIS > X))
etc...

I was wondering if the people here could shoot down this idea:
A self referential statement is true if and only if it implies itself.
THAT(written) = (THAT(value) > THAT(written))

Given this, we would get:
(THIS=TRUE) = (THAT > THAT=TRUE) = TRUE > TRUE = TRUE
(THIS=FALSE) = (THAT > THAT=FALSE) = FALSE
and we wouldn't be able to imply X using (THIS > X) because once we get THIS = (THIS > X) we have change it to THAT = (THAT > (THAT = (THAT > THAT))) before we can evaluate it.

I suppose what I'm looking for here are interesting statements that break this rule. I know it doesn't handle indirect self-reference.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"(THIS=THIS) and false" would be a counterexample, although it doesn't show that your method is wrong (perhaps you need a stronger form of "self-referential" to exclude this).

Alkatran said:
I've been doing some thinking on self-referencing statements and the problems they imply. For example:
THIS=TRUE is both true and false
THIS=FALSE is neither true nor false
THIS>TRUE is both true and false
THIS>FALSE is neither true nor false
THIS > X implies itself and x (using the fact that THIS = (THIS > X))
etc...
You're hitting a seam in a common abuse of language, I think.

Statements don't have inherent truth value -- what you're really saying here is that you can (consistently) label "this = true" with either truth value, and that you cannot (consistently) label "this = false" with either truth value.

Logically, any statement implies itself:

P --> P

is a tautology.

1. What is a self-referential statement?

A self-referential statement is a statement that refers to itself. This means that the statement contains its own name or description within its own structure.

2. How are self-referential statements used in science?

Self-referential statements can be used in science to test logical systems and theories. They can also be used to explore the concept of self-awareness and consciousness.

3. Can self-referential statements be true or false?

Self-referential statements can be either true or false, depending on the context in which they are used. Some self-referential statements, such as "this statement is false," are paradoxical and cannot be assigned a truth value.

4. What is the significance of self-referential statements in philosophy?

In philosophy, self-referential statements are often used to explore the nature of truth, language, and reality. They can also be used to challenge traditional systems of thought and highlight the limitations of human understanding.

5. Are there any limitations to using self-referential statements in science?

While self-referential statements can be useful in certain contexts, they also have limitations. They can be difficult to interpret and can lead to paradoxes or logical inconsistencies. Additionally, they may not provide concrete or measurable evidence for scientific theories.