How High and How Long Does an Object Thrown Upward at 50 m/s Travel?

• Thread starter Alpha[X]²
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a physics problem involving finding the maximum height and time in the air of an object thrown upwards with a velocity of 50 m/s. They are unsure of which kinematic equations to use and are seeking help from others who have experience in solving similar problems.
Alpha[X]²
An item is thrown upwards with a vertical velocity of 50 m/s, what is it's greatest height and how long is it in the air for.

I have no clue how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any kinematic equations?

No. My teacher is a chem teacher teaching physics.

No.

Which do I use and how?

Could someone please help me with this?

How have you approached similar questions in the past? I can't imagine that your teacher would have given you a question without giving you the tools to solve it.

1. How does gravity affect an object?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. Any object with mass will experience the effects of gravity, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the larger object.

2. What factors influence the strength of gravity on an object?

The strength of gravity on an object is determined by the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the source of gravity. The larger the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational force. The farther the object is from the source of gravity, the weaker the gravitational force.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of an object?

Gravity causes an object to accelerate towards the center of the larger object. This results in the object falling towards the ground if there is no other force acting on it. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

4. Can the strength of gravity change on an object?

The strength of gravity on an object can change if the mass or distance is altered. For example, if an object is brought closer to a larger object, the gravitational force will increase. Additionally, if the mass of an object increases, the gravitational force will also increase.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the strength of gravity?

The shape of an object does not affect the strength of gravity. It is solely determined by the mass and distance of the objects involved. However, the shape of an object can affect the distribution of its mass, which can impact the gravitational force it exerts on other objects.