Solving the Impossible: Squaring a Negative Number

In summary, we have a conversation about solving equations and using the quadratic formula. In one case, the solution involved irrational numbers, leading to a discussion about rounding. In the second case, the solution involved rational numbers, but there was confusion about the correct pairing of solutions. In the end, the correct solutions were determined to be (x = 3, y = 4) and (x = -1.4, y = -4.8).
thomas49th
img025.jpg

For (a) I got x = [tex]\sqrt{-11}[/tex] which you can't do as you can't square root a negitive number, I can't help but feel I am wrong

Attachments

• img025.jpg
    img025.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
For (a) I got x = [tex]\sqrt{-11}[/tex] which you can't do as you can't square root a negitive number, I can't help but feel I am wrong

Well, for that reason I would say that Bill is wrong; not you!

and for (b) I began be substituting y =2x - 2 into the y²

x² + (2x-2)(2x-2) = 25

5x² -8x -21 = 0

am I doing the right thing so far. When I used the quadratic formula I got a decimal number, not a whole number and the question doesn't say anything about rounding to a degree of accuracy so I presume the answer is whole numbers :eek:

No, you may presume that the answer is to be given exactly in b)!

That is you have the two solutions:
[tex]x=\frac{-(-8)\pm\sqrt{(-8)^{2}-4*5*(-21)}}{2*5}=\frac{8\pm\sqrt{484}}{10}=\frac{8\pm{22}}{10}[/tex]
As it happens, you get rational solutions here, otherwise, the exact solutions would involve square root symbols explicitly.

thomas49th said:
and for (b) I began be substituting y =2x - 2 into the y²

x² + (2x-2)(2x-2) = 25

5x² -8x -21 = 0

am I doing the right thing so far. When I used the quadratic formula I got a decimal number, not a whole number and the question doesn't say anything about rounding to a degree of accuracy so I presume the answer is whole numbers :eek:

What do you get when you solve this quadratic equation? The answer does not necessarily have to be a whole number, especially if it is only a short decimal. The solution to this equation is such that it can easily be written exactly.

Or, to put it another way,
5x2- 8x+ 21= (5x+ 7)(x- 3)= 0

i must of made an error in typing it into my calculator. For one of x's solutions I got somthing like 4.926537173 (i pressed random keys after the 3.s.f). Ill check over my work now...

okay, when typing it in I think I calculated the stuff inside the root wrong

anyway the answer:

x = -7 or 3
y = -16 or 4

Eeeh??
Whatever are you talking about?

never mind, but I've posted the (i think correct answers now above).

However I am concerned that -16² + -7² don't equal 25

arildno suggested
[tex]x=\frac{-(-8)\pm\sqrt{(-8)^{2}-4*5*(-21)}}{2*5}=\frac{8\pm\sqrt{484}}{10}=\frac{8\pm{22 }}{10}[/tex]

and I told you that 5x2- 8x+ 21= (5x+ 7)(x- 3)= 0.

How could you possibly get "x = -7 or 3" from that?

(8 + 22)/10 = 3
(8-22)/10 = 1.4

woops

EDIT: Making y 4 or 4.8

Well, I would have said 7/5 but but I grew up BC (before calculators).

Actually, I would say -7/5..

[tex]x=\frac{-(-8)\pm\sqrt{(-8)^{2}-4*5*(-21)}}{2*5}=\frac{8\pm\sqrt{484}}{10}=\frac{8\pm{22 }}{10}[/tex]

8+22 = 30/10 = 3
8-22 = -14/10 = -1.4

feed that into the equation y = 2(x) - 2

2(3) - 2 = 6- 2 = 4
2(-1.4) - 2 = -2.8-2 = -4.8

I would think that must be right?

Yes, that is correct. Now be sure to pair them correctly: the solutions to the pair of equations is x= 3, y= 4 and x= -1.4, y= -4.8.

1. Can you really square a negative number?

Yes, it is possible to square a negative number. Squaring a number simply means multiplying it by itself, and this can be done with any number, positive or negative.

2. Why is it called "impossible" to square a negative number?

The term "impossible" is often used colloquially to describe something that is very difficult or challenging. In the case of squaring a negative number, it may seem impossible at first because the result is not a real number, but rather a complex number.

3. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is composed of both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit).

4. How is a negative number squared to get a complex number?

When a negative number is squared, the result is a positive number. However, when we extend this concept to include complex numbers, we can see that squaring a negative number results in a negative real part and an imaginary part. This is why the square of a negative number is a complex number.

5. What is the practical application of squaring a negative number?

The concept of squaring a negative number and obtaining a complex number has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. For example, complex numbers are used in electrical engineering to represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as alternating currents. They are also used in solving equations and graphing functions in mathematics.