Considering Putting School on Hold? Thoughts?

In summary, if you are planning on moving soon and are looking for a job, it may not be a bad idea to put school on hold and try to find a job in the meantime.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have another question. Some of you may know I plan on moving out soon.

My other problem is about your thoughts about putting school on hold. I don't mean permanently.

If I can get a $35-40,000 job on a 12 month contract, would it be such a bad idea to put school on hold. Before I had the chance of getting a $50-60,000 job for 12 months, but problems in the company occured. The manager I was suppose to be assistant to got fired for sexual harassment. Anyways, at the time, I was going to put school on hold for a year because then after, I would have lots saved up.

I don't plan on not going to school at all, but just go part-time. Like one course or two until the year is up, and then my last year of university will just consist of part-time schooling since I did some part-time. Therefore, my last year of university will be stretched into two years.

The other good part is not having to rely on my parents money and such. That would be such a GREAT feeling.

What are your thoughts?

Note: I never plan on stopping my studies. Either I read independently, or at school. Stopping will get me nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't sound bad. As long as you are moving forward (though at a slower pace), who cares. If you finish in one year or two years, it really won't matter much to anyone.

cyrusabdollahi said:
It doesn't sound bad. As long as you are moving forward (though at a slower pace), who cares. If you finish in one year or two years, it really won't matter much to anyone.

Yeah, it'll just stretch to a 5 year degree. But I'll be debt free, living on my own, and even more ready for graduate school.

I don't see what the big deal about getting a degree in 5 years is. A degree is a degree.

Yeah, I don't see the big deal either.

If I get the job, I'll probably go for it. The jobs I'm trying to get for $35,000 are not like McDonald Manager or Grocery Store Manager. There like jobs at the school I'm going at, labs, and some office things that doesn't involve selling things on the phone.

I know many people who go to, or have gone to school part time. They seemed more hard working and determined to achieve the goals they had set.
I got my degree more then several decades ago, yet I still try and do at least one class a year.
I'm sure you will do just fine.

I've heard there's a statistic floating around that people who put school on hold have a very low chance of ever going back. Apparently it has something to do with the attractiveness of the money people make when they quit school. Not saying it'll happen to you, Jason, but it's just something to consider.

But there is a difference, he will still be taking classes, just not full time.

It's becoming more and more common for people to take 5 years to complete a degree instead of the traditional 4, and working a job while attending school part time is a much better reason than some people have for taking that long to finish their degree.

I think it makes good sense to take an extra year to complete school if you're going to be doing a job that is good experience for your future career. For example, working in a lab is a great idea. When you're done with your degree, you'll have an edge over all the other people who have just a degree and no work experience, which will give you better opportunities, plus graduating debt-free means that better-paying salary after you get your degree won't be spent paying off loans.

And, given the grief your parents cause you, you'll probably do better in school if you don't have to waste energy worrying about whether they're going to send the next check you need for tuition or rent.

I really don't see a down side to your plan. In the grand scheme of things, one extra year is nothing, and when future employers see the overlap between a full-time, real job with the years of your undergraduate education on your resume, they'll know why you needed an extra year, so it's not even going to be an issue with how that looks on your resume (or else, just list your graduation date and not the inclusive years you were in school).

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I actually put school on hold completely before and came back. This time I will still be going part-time. That's not too bad.

I'll have more time to work on my honours project which will probably play a factor in where I go for graduate school.

I just have to wait and see if I land a good jog now.

Be aware of the demands of full time employment and school. My 40 hour week easily reaches 50+. Factor in commute, errands (youre moving out), just cooking dinner, let alone studying and class. During the semester my sleep drops to 5 hours tops with a part time course load. Proper time managment is vital.

I have about a 5 hour block one day a week to spread between all my friends. Girlfriend, good luck. They say they're fine with once every 2-3 weeks. Doesnt work out that way.

Last edited:
nsimmons said:
Be aware of the demands of full time employment and school. My 40 hour week easily reaches 50+. Factor in commute, errands (youre moving out), just cooking dinner, let alone studying and class. During the semester my sleep drops to 5 hours tops with a part time course load. Proper time managment is vital.

I have about a 5 hour block one day a week to spread between all my friends.

I worked 42 hours a week before while taking a full load before. I got my 8 hours of sleep and my good grades.

I'm more than sure I can handle a course or two while working full-time. I'm talking of a consistent full-time job of 40 hours a week. I already cook for myself and buy my own grocery and laundry too.

JasonRox said:
I worked 42 hours a week before while taking a full load before. I got my 8 hours of sleep and my good grades.

I'm more than sure I can handle a course or two while working full-time. I'm talking of a consistent full-time job of 40 hours a week. I already cook for myself and buy my own grocery and laundry too.

Well then you should be fine.

1. What are the potential consequences of putting school on hold?

The consequences of putting school on hold can vary depending on the individual's situation. Some potential consequences may include delaying graduation, missing out on educational opportunities and experiences, and losing momentum or motivation for studying. Additionally, there may be financial implications, such as losing scholarships or having to pay back student loans sooner than expected.

2. Is it common for students to take a break from school?

Yes, it is relatively common for students to take a break from school for various reasons. This could be due to personal or family circumstances, financial struggles, or a need to reevaluate their academic and career goals. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential consequences before making the decision to put school on hold.

3. How long can I put school on hold for?

The length of time that students can put school on hold for can vary depending on the policies of their specific institution. Some schools may allow students to take a leave of absence for a semester or a year, while others may have a maximum time limit of two years. It is important to check with your school's registrar or academic advisor for more information.

4. Will putting school on hold affect my financial aid?

Putting school on hold may affect your financial aid, depending on the type of aid you receive. If you have federal student loans, you may have a grace period before you have to start making payments again, but this may vary depending on the length of your break. Some scholarships or grants may also have specific requirements for continuous enrollment. It is important to check with your financial aid office for more information.

5. Are there any alternatives to putting school on hold?

There may be alternative options to putting school on hold, such as taking a reduced course load, switching to part-time status, or taking online classes. These options may allow you to continue your education while also addressing any personal or financial challenges you may be facing. It is important to discuss these options with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your individual situation.