What is the relationship between E and B in the wave equation?

In summary, translating specific words from native language to English can be challenging. It is important to understand the concept of phase difference when dealing with traveling waves. Additionally, the magnitude of E and B are related by the characteristic impedance of free space, which can be found using a specific formula. However, it is important to note that the E and B are not related by the speed of light, as this is a common misconception. Instead, they are related by the characteristic impedance of free space.
totalnewbie
First of all I have to say that translating specific words from native language to english, is not easy. So I hope that you realize what is going on:

What did I do wrong ?

(Traveling waves from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waves ).

Attachments

• 412.jpg
    412.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
First, E and B will have different phases. You show them with the same phase shift. Second, the magnitude of E and B are related by the characteristic impedance of free space -- do you know how?

berkeman said:
First, E and B will have different phases. You show them with the same phase shift.
I suppose the pahases are the same. If they aren't, should I find them too ?

berkeman said:
Second, the magnitude of E and B are related by the characteristic impedance of free space -- do you know how?
I can't recall any formula for that.

How to find B_0. THe formula B_0=E_0/c doesn't give B_0=0,5
It gives 0,005.

Thanks for no help!
The benifit of this forum is ZERO.
I recommend this forum to everybody who wants no help.

No offence, physicist!

totalnewbie said:
Thanks for no help!
The benifit of this forum is ZERO.
I recommend this forum to everybody who wants no help.

No offence, physicist!

Sorry you feel that way -- you are in the minority. We do not give out answers here on the PF. We try to point you to resources that you can use to help you figure out the problem.

In your post above... E and B are not related by c. They are related by the characteristic impedance of free space. That is how you find B from E.

1. What is the electromagnetic wave equation?

The electromagnetic wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are a combination of electric and magnetic fields that propagate through space at the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of the electromagnetic wave equation?

The electromagnetic wave equation is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of how electromagnetic waves behave, which is essential for many fields, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications.

3. What is the general form of the electromagnetic wave equation?

The general form of the electromagnetic wave equation is ∇²E = με(∂²E/∂t²), where E is the electric field, μ is the permeability of the medium, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and ∇² is the Laplace operator.

4. How is the electromagnetic wave equation derived?

The electromagnetic wave equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The wave equation is obtained by taking the curl of Faraday's law and Ampere's law and combining them with the continuity equation for charge.

5. What are some real-life applications of the electromagnetic wave equation?

The electromagnetic wave equation has numerous real-life applications, including the development of communication technologies such as radio, television, and satellite communication. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and in the design of optical devices such as lenses and mirrors.