Choosing Between Maths & Physics for University Courses

In summary, the conversation involves a student who is at the end of their AS year at college and is starting to think about university choices. They are considering taking Maths or Physics, but are unsure about which one to choose. They discuss the overlap between the two subjects and receive advice to attend open days and do further research before making a decision. The conversation also touches upon the difficulty in finding accessible physics books and the struggle of deciding on a career path.
joshd
I am at the end of my AS year at college, so I need to be thinking about uni choices. I will have to get my application for cambridge in in october.

I am stuck between taking Maths or Physics. I really enjoy both, and would ideally like to take both to degree level, as I find them both really interesting. Some universities do a "maths + physics" course, but I don't want to end up as a "jack of all trades" and be able to get a PhD in neither subject...

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ultimately it is only you who can decide. However, I will give my two pence's worth, as a 1st year Physics student.

I was, I suppose, in a similar position to you, in that I couldn't choose between Maths and Physics (and also History - a bit random I know!). What I will say is that you learn a lot of Maths in any Physics course (my joint biggest module this year is the Maths course), where you'll learn the mathematical tools you need to do Physics. Also, the Physics courses themselves are very mathematical as well. So, by choosing Physics, it doesn't mean you won't do any maths - far from it. Also, just as a word of warning, a few people in my corridor do Maths, and it's very formal, and prove this, prove that, and probably not the kind of Maths you've met at A-level.

Just to add a little caveat - I do Physics, I love Physics, and I'm really enjoying my course (except for exams!) so the above probably seems very biased! Probably my best advice for you would be to have a look on the University's websites and the prospectuses, and see what kinds of things you'll be doing for each course. Attend course open days, find out what it's like, and what you'd prefer. As I said, it's only really you who can decide!

Archduke said:
Also, just as a word of warning, a few people in my corridor do Maths, and it's very formal, and prove this, prove that, and probably not the kind of Maths you've met at A-level.

That is interesting, I've not heard that before.

Yea, I am attending an open day at cambridge soon, and also a maths "intro" in manchester. I suppose I will see how those go. I think physics would make for a more interesting career maybe... My physics lecturer lent me a book called "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, and I am finding it very interesting, even though I have no idea what he is on about a lot of the time. I THINK I would quite like to get a masters in physics and maybe an astrophysics based PhD. :confused::confused:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize there was a subforum specifically for this kind of thread. :blushing:

Well, that's the impression I've got. There has been a bit of overlap between our courses (Linear algebra, differential equations, vectors, series - stuff like that), but whereas us Physics students mainly just learned the methods and how to calculate, the Maths students learned that on top of the proofs and stuff like that. But, obviously, I'm not a maths student, so check it out for yourself.

By the way, I definitely found that there were very few physics books that I could find that were accessible to A-level students. They were either to easy, or way too hard! I'd recommend Feynman, though: Q.E.D.
The Strange Theory Of Light And Matter, ISBN: 9780140125054 (0140125051). I think it should be easy enough to pick up at the local Public library, it was available at mine, which is almost exclusively Agatha Christie novels! Nothing to do with Astrophysics, but I found it a good read.

You've done well to have even an inkling of what you want to do - I've nearly finished my first year, and haven't got a clue on what I want to do! I keep telling myself I've got another 3 years to sort that out, though. Anyway, good luck with the open days - hope they help you decide! (P.S. I don't envy you having to do a personal statement!)

1. What are the main differences between studying Maths and Physics at university?

There are several key differences between studying Maths and Physics at university. Firstly, the main focus of Maths is on the abstract study of numbers, patterns, and structures, while Physics is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. Additionally, Maths courses tend to be more theoretical and abstract, while Physics courses involve a mix of theory and practical experiments. Finally, Maths courses often require a strong foundation in calculus and algebra, while Physics courses require a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and their application to real-world problems.

2. Which subject is more challenging to study at university - Maths or Physics?

This ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Both subjects require a high level of analytical thinking and problem-solving skills. Maths may be more challenging for those who struggle with abstract concepts and complex equations, while Physics may be more difficult for those who struggle with visualizing and understanding physical phenomena. It's important to choose a subject that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.

3. Are there any specific career paths that are more suited to studying Maths or Physics?

While both subjects can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, there are certain fields that typically require a background in either Maths or Physics. For example, Maths is often useful for careers in finance, data analysis, and computer science, while Physics is more applicable to careers in engineering, research, and technology. However, it's important to note that many careers value a strong background in both subjects, so it's not necessary to limit yourself to just one.

4. Can I study both Maths and Physics at university?

Yes, many universities offer joint honours degrees in Maths and Physics, allowing students to study both subjects in-depth. This can be a great option for those who have a strong interest and aptitude in both areas, as it can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wider range of career opportunities.

5. How can I decide between studying Maths and Physics at university?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your personal interests, strengths, and career goals. It's important to research the course content and career prospects for both subjects, speak to current students or professionals in the field, and consider your own strengths and passions. Ultimately, the best choice will be the subject that you are most excited to learn about and motivated to succeed in.