Group 2 Periodic Table Elements: Redox Properties & Eθ

In summary, the conversation is about the standard electrode potential (Eθ) value and how it relates to the redox properties of elements in group 2 of the periodic table. The Eθ value is a measure of an element's tendency to be reduced, with higher values indicating easier reduction. It is also observed that the Eθ values decrease down group 2, showing a trend in reducing power. The symbol Eθ represents the electrode potential under standard conditions.
_Greg_
Nowhere in my notes does it say what Eθ is and i can't find a definition of it on the internet :confused:

I'll give you the context:

For group 2 of the periodic table, state and explain the trends in the following for their elements:

(i) redox property, related to Eθ value

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that symbol refers to the standard electrode potential. Think of it as the direction of the voltage for an electric current set up using chemical cells to generate the electricity. You can predict some properties and general periodic trends from interpreting it.

For example, compare Lithium and Bromine:

Li+ + e- -----> Li Electrode Potential: -3.04 V

Br2 + 2e- -----> 2Br- Electrode Potential: +1.07

The relatively large negative electrical potential for lithium can be interpreted to mean that generally an electric current in a chemical cell will favor the left side of the equation which has Lithium giving up electrons to form a cation as opposed to staying as Lithium metal on the right side of the equation (the larger the number, the greater the tendency towards one direction or the other).

On the other hand, the sign of the electrode potential for Bromine gas is positive which means the right side of that chemical equation is favored over the left (Bromine would tend to accept electrons and form a negative ion as opposed to staying bromine liquid).

This should match your expectation from early chemistry that Lithium will tend to lose 1 electron in chemical reactions and become positively charged while bromine will gain an electron to become negatively charged (only now with standard electrode potentials you can measure and verify this tendency). That's not all you can get from these values...when you compare the electrode potetials down a column in a periodic table or across rows do you notice any trends showing up?

yea, i see they decrease down the group.

this is what i put as an answer to that question:

The elements in group 2 are all strong reducing agents. The larger the atoms, the easier it is to lose electrons and therefore the reducing power increases down group 2. The standard electrode potential is the value of an elements ability to be reduced. The greater this value, the easier they are to be reduced. Since the group 2 elements undergo oxidation (making them reducing agents), they have very low Eθ values which degrease down group 2.

does that sound about right?

thanks for the reply

It's not a theta, it's a zero with a line thru it. It denotes the electrode potential of something at standard conditions. (pressure, temperature etc.)

1. What are the Group 2 elements in the periodic table?

The Group 2 elements, also known as the alkaline earth metals, are beryllium (Be), magnesium (Mg), calcium (Ca), strontium (Sr), barium (Ba), and radium (Ra).

2. What are the redox properties of Group 2 elements?

The redox properties of Group 2 elements refer to their ability to lose two valence electrons and form +2 ions in chemical reactions. This makes them strong reducing agents, meaning they are easily oxidized by other elements.

3. How do the redox properties of Group 2 elements compare to those of Group 1 elements?

The redox properties of Group 2 elements are similar to those of Group 1 elements, as they both have low electronegativity and easily lose electrons. However, Group 2 elements have a higher ionization energy, making them less reactive than Group 1 elements.

4. What is Eθ and how does it relate to Group 2 elements?

Eθ, also known as standard electrode potential, is a measure of the tendency of an element to undergo a reduction reaction. For Group 2 elements, Eθ values become more negative as you move down the group, indicating a greater tendency to lose electrons and form +2 ions.

5. How do the redox properties of Group 2 elements affect their reactivity?

The redox properties of Group 2 elements play a significant role in their reactivity. As strong reducing agents, they readily react with other elements to form compounds. However, their reactivity decreases as you move down the group due to the increasing ionization energy and decreasing electronegativity.