Medical Physics Career Options - Experiences from Graduates

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a Masters course in Medical Physics at Aberdeen University and their concerns about job prospects in the field. They mention potential career options such as academia, nuclear energy, and radiation protection. They also inquire about others' experiences with a Masters in Medical Physics and its applicability in different countries. The conversation also touches on the differences between Health Physics and Medical Physics in the US.
ElDavidas
I just graduated recently with a 2:1 in Mathematics and am thinking of studying a Masters course in Medical Physics in 2008. I got a welcoming response from Aberdeen University (http://www.biomed.abdn.ac.uk/Courses/medphys.html) and am thinking of studying there.

However, I'm trying to think of the job prospects once completing the course. I'd really like to work for NHS Scotland but the training scheme is difficult to get into. There are very few vacancies. Does anyone have experience of finishing a masters course in Medical Physics and then find it difficult to get work?

I'm therefore considering other possible career options that degree at Aberdeen University has to offer but there doesn't seem to be many. Of course, there is academia but I can't see myself studying for a PhD and becoming a lecturer. Do you think I could find employment within nuclear energy or radiation protection using that degree? Or should I look somewhere else for a course that gives more career choices?

I'd love to here any experience folk have in doing a course in medical physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, radiation protection is Health Physics, whereas Medical Physics is radiation oncology (treating people who have cancer with radiation) and diagnostic (x-rays, MRI, etc.) both involve making sure the equipment is running properly and radiation oncology involves treatment planning as well. In the US, finding a clinical job with a Masters in Medical Physics is not that difficult, but I'm not sure about anywhere else. I would assume it's similar though.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/become-medical-physicist-3653-easy-steps/

Last edited by a moderator:

Congratulations on your recent graduation and for considering a career in Medical Physics! I can offer some insight into the job prospects and career options for graduates in this field.

Firstly, it is great that you have received a welcoming response from Aberdeen University for their Masters course in Medical Physics. This is a highly specialized and in-demand field, and completing a Masters degree in this subject will definitely open up a range of career opportunities for you.

In terms of job prospects, the healthcare industry is constantly growing and evolving, and Medical Physics is a crucial component of this sector. With advancements in technology and an aging population, there is a high demand for professionals with expertise in medical physics to ensure the safe and effective use of medical equipment and radiation. Therefore, there are a variety of job opportunities available in this field, including roles in hospitals, research institutions, and industrial settings.

While the NHS Scotland training scheme may be difficult to get into, there are other avenues for employment in the healthcare sector. You can also consider private healthcare facilities, government agencies, and international organizations that may have job openings for Medical Physicists. Additionally, you can also explore opportunities in the nuclear energy and radiation protection industries, which require professionals with a strong background in medical physics.

It is also worth noting that a Masters degree in Medical Physics provides a strong foundation for further studies and research in this field. So, even if you do not see yourself pursuing a PhD or becoming a lecturer now, you can always keep these options open for the future.

In terms of other career options, you can also consider roles in medical device and equipment companies, as well as consulting firms that specialize in healthcare technology and radiation safety. These industries are constantly looking for professionals with a background in medical physics to support their operations.

Overall, I would say that a Masters degree in Medical Physics from Aberdeen University is a solid choice for your career aspirations. With the right skills and experience, you will have a range of job opportunities available to you in the healthcare sector as well as other related industries. I would encourage you to thoroughly research the different career options and speak to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of what to expect in terms of job prospects and career progression. Good luck in your future studies and career!

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and methods of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation and other physical processes for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases.

2. What career options are available in medical physics?

There are various career options in medical physics, including diagnostic medical physicist, therapeutic medical physicist, nuclear medical physicist, and health physicist. These professionals work in hospitals, research facilities, and regulatory agencies.

3. What are the typical educational requirements for a career in medical physics?

Most positions in medical physics require a graduate degree in medical physics or a related field, such as physics, engineering, or radiology. Many employers also prefer candidates who are board certified by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or the American Board of Medical Physics (ABMP).

4. What skills and qualities are important for a successful career in medical physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of physics principles are essential for a career in medical physics. Additionally, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work in a team, are important for collaborating with other healthcare professionals.

5. What are some common experiences of graduates in the field of medical physics?

Graduates in medical physics often have a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills gained through coursework, research projects, and clinical rotations. Many also have experience working with advanced medical equipment and technologies, as well as a deep understanding of radiation safety and regulatory requirements.