What Physics C textbook is easiest to self-study?

In summary, the speaker is a student looking to self-study AP Physics C since it is not offered at their school. They have already taken and excelled in Physics B and Calculus AB/BC exams, and are currently taking Calculus 3 at a nearby college. They are looking for recommendations on a textbook for calculus-based physics and the speaker suggests Halliday & Resnick as a reliable option. They also mention the high price of textbooks and suggest looking for older versions or buying used books. Others in the conversation confirm the quality of Halliday & Resnick and share tips for finding cheaper alternatives. Ultimately, it is noted that an older version of the textbook would still be suitable for self-study purposes.
Farzan
Hello,

I am a student interested in learning AP Physics C material on my own because the class is not offered at my school.

My goals are
- 5 on the AP Physics C exam(s)
- Know calculus-based physics to compete in Science Olympiad

I have taken the Physics B exam and Calc AB/BC exams (5 on all of them), and I'm also taking Calculus 3 from a nearby college.

I would think a textbook on calculus based physics would be the best way to learn it. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can ever go wrong with Halliday & Resnick.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with Halliday & Resnick.

That's the book my physics teacher gave me to use when I asked him if I could try for physics C, and he knows his stuff.

maphco said:
That's the book my physics teacher gave me to use when I asked him if I could try for physics C, and he knows his stuff.

It really is a good book, although quite expensive. But, it may be possible to find an older version for less. Also, Serway (Physics for Scientists & Engineers) seems pretty nice too.

It really is a good book, although quite expensive.
Yah, he said that for the school to order it that it'd be about $140 - $150

I think what irks me most about the prices of basic physics textbooks is that the fundamentals do not really change very often. For example, there was a new version of H&R this year, but the last one just came out in 2004. I suppose the obvious thing is that textbook publishers and authors want more money. At my school (probably the same at most), H&R is used for the first three fundamental physics courses. I feel sorry for the people that are taking Physics 2 or 3 this semester and had to buy a new version of the same book.

Oi! That's bloody cheap! I don't have the money to go out and buy new books for recreational studying. Hmm... I guess a good stratagy would be to look a few versions of the book back and buy that one :p

You can get some pretty cheap deals with used books at amazon. And most of them come just like new.

Halliday / Resnick Fundamentals of Physics comes about $40-$50 on Amazon through independent sellers. Brand new.

If you're self-studying, you don't have to have the latest version of a textbook, unless you know you're going to need it for a course later. The H&R that I used as a college freshman in 1971 has pretty much the same physics as the current edition. :wink:

1. Which Physics C textbook is the most recommended for self-study?

The most recommended Physics C textbook for self-study is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It is widely used in many universities and has a comprehensive coverage of the subject matter.

2. Is there a Physics C textbook that is specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight is designed for self-study. It includes many practice problems and examples that are helpful for independent learning.

3. What makes a Physics C textbook easy to self-study?

A Physics C textbook that is easy to self-study should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and a logical organization of topics. It should also have a good balance of theory and application.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a Physics C textbook for self-study?

Yes, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics that can supplement a Physics C textbook for self-study. These resources offer video tutorials, interactive simulations, and additional practice problems.

5. Can I use an older edition of a Physics C textbook for self-study?

It is possible to use an older edition of a Physics C textbook for self-study, but it is recommended to use the most recent edition. Newer editions often have updated content, improved explanations, and more practice problems. However, if you have access to an older edition, it can still be a helpful resource for self-study.