Calculate Force Req. to Lift Load 3m High

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the amount of force needed to lift an object 3 meters high using a lever, but the discussion also includes the concept of energy and how it relates to force. The original picture provided by Kalpesh was changed to make the direction and sense of the force clearer. The final conclusion is that in order to lift the object, energy must be applied and this can be calculated using the formula W_F = \vec F\cdot \vec x = mgh.
kalpesh
I want to know how to calculate the amount of force req. in the given picture. I want to lift the load 3 meters high.

Can anyone help.

Attachments

• Load.jpg
    Load.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the picture?

I attached it in the thread
Dont know how to use it

Thanks

Kalpesh

I can't see how you can lift the load 3 meters high when the lever connected to it is just 1 meter long. Or do you mean "throwing" the load 3 meters high, rather than lifting it while it's on the lever?

You got it right my friend

The ball / load is not attached to the arm.

Hence the ball needs to be thrown upwards.

kalpesh,
You have given us a point of application, but no direction or sense.
-Mike

Michal

I have changed the image for your ref.

please help me how to calculate the req. force whith the given angle and also if you change the angle.

Kalpesh

You need to apply energy, not force (they are related, but it will be easier to first consider the required energy, and then translate that into how much force to apply).

Thanks TURIN

But in that case u will need to tell me how to find energy and then how to convert it to force.

Thanks
Kalpesh

Generally speaking, the work done by all non-conservative forces is equal to the change in mechanical energy of the object. In your case:

[tex]{W_F}_{ext} = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_k + \Delta E_p[/tex]

Since the inital velocity and final velocity are both zero, there is no change in kinetic energy so it comes down to this:

[tex]W_F = \vec F\cdot \vec x = mgh[/tex]

And don't forget that the x vector has a maximum value (determined by the lever arm).

What is the formula for calculating the force required to lift a load 3m high?

The formula is F = mgh, where F is the force, m is the mass of the load, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the load is being lifted.

What units should be used for the mass and height in the formula?

The mass should be in kilograms (kg) and the height should be in meters (m).

Do I need to consider the weight of the lifting mechanism in the calculation?

Yes, the weight of the lifting mechanism should be included in the mass of the load (m) in the formula.

Can I use this formula for any type of lifting mechanism?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of lifting mechanism as long as the height (h) is measured from the ground to the highest point the load is being lifted to.

What other factors should be considered when calculating the force required to lift a load 3m high?

In addition to the mass of the load and the height it is being lifted, other factors that may need to be considered include frictional forces, air resistance, and the efficiency of the lifting mechanism.