What Are the Tensions Required to Steady a Piano Being Lowered by a Crane?

In summary: And you're lifting its weight too!In summary, a 500kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while two people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. Bob's rope pulls to the left, 15 degrees below the horizontal, with 500 Newtons of tension. Ellen's rope pulls toward the right, 25 degrees below the horizontal. The tension that Ellen must maintain in her rope to keep the piano descending at a steady speed is 724.34 Newtons. The tension in the main cable supporting the piano is 5254.62 Newtons.
TonkaQD4
A 500kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while two people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. Bob's rope pulls to the left, 15 degrees below the horizontal, with 500 Newtons of tension. Ellen's rope pulls toward the right, 25 degrees below the horizontal.

(a) What tension must Ellen maintain in her rope to keep the piano desceding at a steady speed?

(b) What is the tension in the main cable supporting the piano?

Well of course I started out by drawing the situation. Bob's rope in the third quadrant at 15 degrees and Ellen's rope in the fourth quadrant at 25 degrees below the x-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that Bob and Ellen are merely steadying the crane, so the crane cable supporting the piano remains vertical. What must be true about the sum of the horizontal forces on the piano?

The horizontal forces are Zero

Due to the complexity and length of this problem I was wondering if anybody else could complete it and then actually compare answers, and then if we differ, then maybe we could go into greater detail.

Basically using trig I found Bob in terms of Ellen and came up with an answer of...
In order to keep the piano steady Ellen must apply Tension to her rope of 724.34N.

TonkaQD4 said:
The horizontal forces are Zero
Right.

Due to the complexity and length of this problem I was wondering if anybody else could complete it and then actually compare answers, and then if we differ, then maybe we could go into greater detail.
Only one equation is needed: That horizontal forces add to zero.

Basically using trig I found Bob in terms of Ellen and came up with an answer of...
In order to keep the piano steady Ellen must apply Tension to her rope of 724.34N.
Show how you got that.

Ok
I made Bob's vector F_B and Ellen's vector F_E

First I solved for the x terms...

F_x=ma_x

-F_Bcos15+F_Ecos25 = 0 so,
F_E = F_B(cos15/cos25)

Now the y terms...

F_y - mg = ma_y

-F_Bsin15+(-F_Esin25)-mg = ma_y
-F_Bsin15-F_B(cos15/cos25)(sin25)= mg

-mg = F_Bsin15 + F_Bcos15tan25

Therefore...

F_E = F_B (cos15/cos25)

= -mg / (sin15+cos15tan25) (cos15/cos25)

= -mg / (cos25/tan15) + (cos25/tan15)

= -mg / 2cos25/tan15

Conclusion F_E

F_E = -500(9.8) / (2cos25/tan15)

= 4900 / 6.76

724.34 NEWTONS

I think I might be making this harder than it really is, please give me your best advice, but I might have to ask my teacher about this one.

Thanks

TonkaQD4 said:
Ok
I made Bob's vector F_B and Ellen's vector F_E

First I solved for the x terms...

F_x=ma_x

-F_Bcos15+F_Ecos25 = 0 so,
F_E = F_B(cos15/cos25)
This is perfectly correct and is all you need for part (a)! You are given that F_B = 500, so just plug it into find F_E.

Now the y terms...

F_y - mg = ma_y

-F_Bsin15+(-F_Esin25)-mg = ma_y
-F_Bsin15-F_B(cos15/cos25)(sin25)= mg

-mg = F_Bsin15 + F_Bcos15tan25
Unfortunately, this is not correct because you did not take into account the force that the cable exerts on the piano. Since the piano is not accelerating, the vertical forces must also equal zero. Combined with the other equation you can figure out the cable tension--that's what you need to do to solve part (b).

Rewrite your equation for the y forces, this time including the upward force of the cable tension.

Well
mg
500kg(9.8m/s^2)

=4900N

Well.. I'm not exactly sure how to solve this ...

-F_Bsin15 - F_Esin25 - mg + F_t = ma = 0

F_t = F_Bsin15 + F_Esin25 + mg

= 129.41N + 225.21N + 4900N

F_t = 5254.62N ----> this can't be correct, what am I doing wrong??

Looks good to me. (Why do you say it can't be correct?)

Doesn't that seem like an awful lot.

TonkaQD4 said:
Doesn't that seem like an awful lot.
The piano's heavy! It weighs 4900 N. And you have two people tugging down on it.

What is the purpose of the piano, crane, and two ropes experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate basic principles of physics, such as force, gravity, and tension, through a hands-on activity.

What materials are needed for the piano, crane, and two ropes experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a piano (or any heavy object), a crane or pulley system, and two ropes of equal length.

What is the procedure for conducting the piano, crane, and two ropes experiment?

The procedure for this experiment involves attaching one end of each rope to the crane and the other end to the piano. The ropes should be attached at different points on the piano to create an uneven distribution of weight. Then, using the crane, attempt to lift the piano off the ground by pulling on the ropes.

What are some possible outcomes of the piano, crane, and two ropes experiment?

There are several possible outcomes of this experiment. One outcome is that the piano will be lifted off the ground, showing that the force of the crane is greater than the force of gravity on the piano. Another outcome is that the piano may not be lifted off the ground, indicating that the force of gravity is greater than the force of the crane. Additionally, the experiment may demonstrate the concept of tension, as the ropes will become taut as the piano is lifted.

What are some real-world applications of the piano, crane, and two ropes experiment?

The principles demonstrated in this experiment have real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, construction, and transportation. Understanding the relationship between force, gravity, and tension is essential in designing and building structures, as well as moving heavy objects safely and efficiently.