EIT/PhD for aerospace industry

In summary, the EIT is important for HVAC, infrastructure, and civil engineering, but it's not as important for the aerospace/aviation industry. If you're still in school, you should take the FE (EIT) exam. It's easy and won't cost much.
Greg Freeman
I know the EIT test is important for HVAC, infrastructure, and civil engineering, but how important is it for the aerospace/aviation industry? Does it make a difference at all if someone is completely involved in the private aerospace industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg,
I worked for the aerospace industry for 8 years after college (rocket launching from Cape Canaveral and Vandenburg, AFB). As far as I could tell, there was very little to no advantage to being an EIT or PE in that industry.

I've worked for a chemical company for 12 years since then, and still there seems to be very little advantage to being a PE. I think in general, there is little if any advantage to being a PE in large companies. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say there is a 10 to 20 % advantage, but most if not all of that advantage is in the fact that those people are generally more likely to work that much harder. It has little, if anything to do with the piece of paper.

I agree. I decided to put off the PE exam for quite a while. I just have no need for it. If I do decide to take it, it would be for personal reasons only. There are quite a few PEs in our company, but none of them have any requirement for putting their stamp of approval on anything.

Personally, I think every engineer should have to take and pass the EIT. But that's just my opinion.

If you're still in school, you might as well take the FE (EIT) exam. It's very broad, so if you decide to pursue a PE later on, you won't have to relearn lots of (albeit fundamental) concepts.

It's a little expensive, and quite long, but extremely easy if you are at an ABET accredited school.

1. What is an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry?

An EIT (Engineer in Training) is a professional designation for engineers who have recently graduated from an accredited engineering program, while a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is a terminal degree in a specific field of study. An EIT/PhD for aerospace industry refers to a program or degree that combines both of these designations and prepares individuals for careers in the aerospace industry as engineers or researchers.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry?

There are several benefits to pursuing an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry. First, it combines both practical and theoretical knowledge, making graduates well-rounded and highly skilled in their field. Second, it can lead to higher salaries and more advanced career opportunities. Third, it allows individuals to specialize in a specific area of aerospace engineering, such as propulsion or aerodynamics.

3. How long does it take to complete an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry?

The length of time it takes to complete an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry can vary depending on the program and the individual's academic progress. Typically, it takes 5-7 years to complete both designations, with the first 2-3 years focusing on coursework and the remaining years dedicated to research and dissertation writing.

4. Can I pursue an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry if I have a different undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may be required to take additional courses to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the program. It is important to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the program you are interested in.

5. What types of careers can I pursue with an EIT/PhD for aerospace industry?

An EIT/PhD for aerospace industry can lead to a variety of careers in the aerospace industry, including roles in research and development, design and testing, and project management. Graduates may also work in government agencies, defense contractors, or private companies specializing in aerospace engineering. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, research scientist, and project manager.