Trig Without Tears - Tutorials To Help You Develop Identities

In summary, "Trig Without Tears" is a website that explains trigonometry using a non-memorization based approach to identities. The author teaches readers how to develop the identities in a way that is easy to follow and remember. The website also provides tutorials for basic "right angle" trig that do not use the standard SOH CAH TOA mnemonic. Additionally, the website offers helpful tips and resources for solving trigonometry problems.
jaime2000
http://oakroadsystems.com/twt/

I searched and it looked like no one had posted this before, so here it is. Trig without tears is an awesome site in which some guy explains trigonometry, from the basic functions of sine and cosine to the double and half angle identities. The interesting part is that the author, who believes it is wrong to use memorization as a substitute for thinking and disagrees with the memorization-based approach to identities regularly found in school, instead teaches you how to develop the identities in a way that is easy to follow and remember. I wish I had read this when I was taking pre-calculus last summer. It's great! ^.^

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
thanks man...i feel trig is easy now

Rofl.

IP check these guys £100 says that theyre the same person.

DeanBH said:
Rofl.

IP check these guys £100 says that theyre the same person.

I'll PM you the address to send my £100 cheque to :wink:

Love the approach

Any more tips?

Could you please give me another website, so I can have more of a reference point?

Cristooooooo Any more tips?

physics_mania said:
Cristooooooo Any more tips?

Erm... I'm not sure what you mean!

great work! trig is much more fun this way!

Greek2Me64 said:
Here are links to tutorials for basic "right angle" trig that does NOT use the standard SOH CAH TOA mneumonic. The first tutorial shows you how to make a "Trig Tool", which elimininates memorizing a lot of formulas, the next two show you how to USE it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5520340_memorize-trig-functions-losing-mind.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5227490_pass-mind-part-unknown-sides.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5428511_pass-part-ii-unknown-angles.html

Wow thanks! That first link is pretty spiffy.

I actually enjoyed reading the first few pages of the OP's link as well. It seems perfectly informative to me.

hey, just wanted to say thanks.
Didn't really try out the site yet but I book marked it in plan for next sem.
Should help me in calculus right ^^

Thanks for this resource. I finished my Algebra studies yesterday and I'm waiting for a trig book to come in the mail. This will serve in the meantime.

Only thing missing - I need some problems to solve! Can anybody help me out?

-DaveKA

A good trig identity tip is that if you ever run into trouble doing (or remembering) a trig identity, you can always fall back on the following two Euler relations.

[tex]\cos x ={{e^{i x}+e^{-i x}}\over{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sin x ={{e^{i x}-e^{-i x}}\over{2 i}}[/tex]

where i is the square root of negative one.

For example, take the famous one,

[tex]\sin ^2 x+\cos ^2 x =1 [/tex]

plug in the relations and one gets

[tex]{{(e^{i x}+e^{-i x})^2-(e^{i x}-e^{-i x})^2}\over{4}} =1 [/tex]

[tex]{{(e^{2i x}+2+e^{-2i x})-(e^{2i x}-2+e^{-2i x})}\over{4}} =1 [/tex]

[tex]{{4}\over{4}} =1 [/tex]

[tex]1 =1 [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Trig Without Tears?

Trig Without Tears is a series of tutorials designed to help individuals learn and develop their understanding of trigonometric identities.

Who can benefit from Trig Without Tears?

Trig Without Tears is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning or improving their knowledge of trigonometric identities, regardless of their level of mathematical background.

Are the tutorials easy to understand?

Yes, the tutorials are designed to be user-friendly and easy to follow. They use simple language and step-by-step explanations to make the concepts accessible to learners of all levels.

Are there any prerequisites for using Trig Without Tears?

No, there are no prerequisites for using Trig Without Tears. However, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry can be helpful.

How can I access Trig Without Tears?

Trig Without Tears is accessible online through a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Simply visit our website and start learning at your own pace.