Parallel plate capacitor and charge density

In summary, the parallel plate capacitor with an area of 125 cm2 and a distance of 1.25 mm between plates is charged to a potential difference of 10.0 V. Using the equation Vε0 = σd, the charge density on each plate is calculated to be 8.5*10-8 C/m2. The area is not necessary for this calculation, as it is used to determine the total charge on each plate. The answer does not need to be halved since the surface charge density is calculated for each plate separately. Placing a Gaussian surface around one plate can be used to verify the solution.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor with A=125 cm2 and d=1.25 mm is charged to a potential difference of 10.0 V. What is the charge density on each plate?

Homework Equations

[tex]
V = \frac{{\sigma d}}{{\varepsilon _0 }}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,V\varepsilon _0 = \sigma d\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\sigma = \frac{{V\varepsilon _0 }}{d}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in numbers, I get 8.5*10-8C/m2. But I never used the Area. My units seem to work. Did they throw in irrelavant data? Shouldn't I only need Area if I want total charge?

Should my answer be half of what I computed, because it is divided between 2 plates?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I'm concerned your solution is correct. As you correctly point out, one only needs the area to calculate the total charge on each plate. Further, you do not need to halve your answer since the surface charge density is calculated for each plate. You can check your solution by placing a Gaussian surface around one plate. Perhaps http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesht.html#c2" would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback and the link!

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical charge and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates when a voltage is applied. This causes one plate to accumulate a positive charge and the other plate to accumulate a negative charge, resulting in the storage of electrical energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C=εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. How is charge density defined in a parallel plate capacitor?

Charge density in a parallel plate capacitor refers to the amount of charge stored per unit area on the plates. It is calculated by dividing the total charge by the area of one of the plates.

5. How does the charge density affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The charge density directly affects the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor. As the charge density increases, the capacitance also increases, as there is more charge being stored per unit area on the plates. Similarly, a decrease in charge density results in a decrease in capacitance.