Quantization of Gauge theories ?

In summary, quantization of gauge theories begins with the 1-form, which is the sum of all the generators of the Lie group. Then we define the 2-form, which is the product of the 1-form and the generator. Next we define the equation of motion and the external source of energy. The Hamiltonian is equal to the sum of the canonical momenta of all the particles in the system. The quantization can be done in a number of ways, but the most common is to treat the potential as a spatial coordinate and calculate the Hamiltonian using the Legendre transform.
mhill
Quantization of Gauge theories ??

Hi , i am trying to learn the math formalism of Gauge Theories

as far as i know they begin with the 1-form

[tex] A= \sum_{i} T^{i}A_{\mu}^{i} [/tex]

where 'T_i ' are the generators of the Lie Group

then we define the 2-form [tex] F= dA + (1/2)[A,A] [/tex]

and the equation of motion are [tex] dF =0 [/tex] (exterior derivative of F ) and [tex] *d *F = J [/tex]

with J being an external source and [tex] *F_{ij}=e_{ijkl}F^{kl} [/tex] Hodge Star operator

QUESTION:
=========

How can you define a Hamiltonian of Your Gauge theory if the Lagrangian is equal to [tex] tr[F^{ab}F_{ab}] [/tex]

how can you apply the Quantization to these theories ??

Physics news on Phys.org

mhill said:
How can you define a Hamiltonian of Your Gauge theory if the Lagrangian is equal to [tex] tr[F^{ab}F_{ab}] [/tex]

how can you apply the Quantization to these theories ??
Two ways: one is the sum over histories approach which requires knowledge only of the Lagrangian.

The other is to treat the potential [tex]A[/tex] as the "position" coordinate, so we can find the canonically conjugate momenta

[tex]\pi = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{A}}[/tex]

and then use the Legendre transform to get the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \pi\partial_{0}A - L[/tex].

NOTE NOTE NOTE these are Lagrangian, Hamiltonian, and momentum DENSITIES and if you want to get the Lagrangian, Hamiltonian, or momentum you merely integrate the corresponding density over the spatial volume.

Usually you end up with constraints in the canonical approach and you either quantize then constrain (Dirac's approach) or constrain then quantize (reduced phase space approach). It's a whole problem...

A good book or two to refer to would be Quantization of Fields with Constraints by D. M. Gitman and I.V. Tyutin (the latter was the "T" in the BRST technique of gauge quantization), or Quantization of Gauge Systems by Henneaux and Teitelboim. The latter is a more difficult read (my notes consist of elucidating what they say, and providing more detailed proofs; it's very elegant but also very short and kinda choppy in the beginning in my opinion...).

Look at chapter 15 in Weinberg or Dirac's little primer "Lectures in quantum mechanics".

What is quantization of gauge theories?

Quantization of gauge theories is the process of applying quantum mechanics to models of particle interactions that are described by gauge theories. It involves treating the gauge fields as quantum fields, and applying principles of quantum mechanics to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of particle interactions.

Why is quantization of gauge theories important?

Quantization of gauge theories is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. It also helps to reconcile quantum mechanics with the theory of relativity, as gauge theories are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies.

What are some challenges in quantization of gauge theories?

One of the main challenges in quantization of gauge theories is the problem of gauge invariance. This refers to the fact that the mathematical description of a gauge theory does not depend on the specific choice of gauge, and therefore different choices of gauge may lead to different physical predictions. Another challenge is the issue of renormalization, which is the process of accounting for infinite terms in calculations, and is necessary for making accurate predictions in quantum field theory.

What is the role of symmetry in quantization of gauge theories?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in quantization of gauge theories. In fact, gauge theories are based on the concept of local symmetry, where the laws of physics are unchanged under local transformations. This symmetry allows for the existence of gauge fields, and plays a key role in determining the behavior of particles and their interactions.

How does quantization of gauge theories relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions through the three fundamental forces (electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force). Quantization of gauge theories is an essential part of the Standard Model, as it provides the mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of these fundamental particles and their interactions. In fact, the Standard Model is itself a gauge theory, known as the Yang-Mills theory.