Help with hw problem (atwood machine)

In summary, the conversation discusses an Atwood machine and how to determine the tension on the string when the masses are equal. The solution involves acknowledging that the system has no acceleration and using the formula for sum of forces or drawing free body diagrams. Ultimately, the tension on the string is found to be equal to the product of the mass and gravity, which in this case is just g.
darealprince

Homework Statement

In an atwood machine which is a pulley with two wieghts attached to it (m1 and m2), m1= m2, how much tension is found on the string? I thought that it would be zero tension on the string but that appeared to be wrong. How would you solve it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all, you should acknowledge that the system has no acceleration. A pulley with equal masses will have no acceleration. Also, if the masses are equal, you no longer need the subscripts. Just label both of them "m."

You can either do the drawing the free body diagrams or figure out the sum of the forces. Let's start out with the sum of the forces.

The formula for the sum of the forces (if you don't already know) is netForce=mass*acceleration. Since there is no acceleration, mass*acceleration would equal zero since acceleration is zero.

Now let's draw the free body diagrams. For m1 and m2, there are two forces acting upon it: tension of the string "T" and the force of gravity acting upon the mass. Since you know the net force is zero, the tension of the string and the force of gravity on the mass is equal. If you don't already know, force of gravity = mass*gravity. So for both masses, the net force would look like this: Tension - mass*gravity=zero or Tension=mass*gravity (T=mg).

I recalculated the tension and i got 2mg since the masses were the same but it was wrong. So since the masses are the same would it just be g? or 2g?

darealprince said:
I recalculated the tension and i got 2mg since the masses were the same but it was wrong. So since the masses are the same would it just be g? or 2g?

Ok. If you do the net force for each mass, both of them turn out to be T=mg. All you need to do is plug in the things you know since the equation is already solved for tension, the value you're trying to find. Tension = mg. It would just be g.

Does that clear it up? I'm not sure if I explained it well.

Last edited:

1. How do I set up an Atwood machine for a homework problem?

To set up an Atwood machine, you will need two masses connected by a string or pulley system. The masses should be suspended from a fixed point and the string should pass over a pulley. Make sure to label the masses as "m1" and "m2" and the tension in the string as "T".

2. How do I calculate the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

To calculate the acceleration of an Atwood machine, you can use the formula a = (m1-m2)g/(m1+m2), where "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Make sure to use the appropriate units for mass (kg) and acceleration (m/s^2).

3. What is the purpose of an Atwood machine in physics?

An Atwood machine is used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It can also be used to calculate the mass of an unknown object by comparing its acceleration to a known mass in the machine.

4. How do I incorporate friction into my Atwood machine problem?

To incorporate friction into your Atwood machine problem, you can add a frictional force acting on one or both of the masses. This force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where "μ" is the coefficient of friction and "N" is the normal force acting on the object.

5. Can an Atwood machine be used for any type of problem involving forces?

An Atwood machine can be used for many types of problems involving forces, such as calculating acceleration, tension, and the mass of unknown objects. However, it may not be suitable for more complex problems involving multiple forces and/or non-uniform objects.