Find force link 3 exerts on link 2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the force exerted by link 3 on link 2 in a chain of five links, each with a mass of 0.105 kg, being lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of 3.5 m/s2. The equation F = ma is used to calculate the force, with a resulting answer of 4.19 N. The discussion also mentions a possible typo omission of a 3 in the calculation.
jturn

Homework Statement

A chain consisting of five links, each of mass 0.105 kg, is lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of a = 3.5 m/s2. Find the magnitude of the force that link 3 exerts on link 2.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:
F = ma
FU - (0.105 * 3)(9.8) = (0.105) * 3.5
FU = 4.19 N

where FU is the force pulling up, (0.105*3) is the mass of the link's 5, 4, and 3 weighing down on link 2 (mg=weight) and then the mass*accel on the other side.

This is wrong. why? and how do i get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
does no one know how to do it? ...if it helps. i found the force required to move the top link at that acceleration to be 6.98 N...at it was the right answer...

jturn said:

Homework Statement

A chain consisting of five links, each of mass 0.105 kg, is lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of a = 3.5 m/s2. Find the magnitude of the force that link 3 exerts on link 2.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:
F = ma
FU - (0.105 * 3)(9.8) = (0.105) *3 *3.5
FU = 4.19 N OK

where FU is the force pulling up, (0.105*3) is the mass of the link's 5, 4, and 3 weighing down on link 2 (mg=weight) and then the mass*accel on the other side.

This is wrong. why? and how do i get the right answer?
It looks like your calculation and answer is correct, although you left out a 3 in an apparent typo omission (see above in red). Unless, the links are numbered 1 thru 5 bottom to top, rather than 1 thru 5 top to bottom??

What is meant by "force link 3 exerts on link 2"?

When we talk about the force link 3 exerts on link 2, we are referring to the amount of physical energy or push that is applied by link 3 onto link 2. This force can cause link 2 to move or change its direction.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What factors affect the force exerted by link 3 on link 2?

The force exerted by link 3 on link 2 can be affected by several factors, including the mass of link 2, the acceleration of link 2, and the angle at which the force is applied.

How can the force exerted by link 3 on link 2 be calculated?

The force exerted by link 3 on link 2 can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of link 2 in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

What is the difference between force and pressure?

Force and pressure are related but different concepts. Force is a measure of the energy or push applied to an object, while pressure is a measure of how concentrated that force is over a given area. Force is measured in Newtons, while pressure is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Pascals (Pa).