Mysterious Wasp Infestation: My Home is Under Siege

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the speaker has been dealing with a large number of wasps entering their house, with multiple instances of finding and disposing of them. They suspect the wasps may be coming in through a window, but are unsure as to how they are getting in. Suggestions are made to hang a wasp trap and seal any potential entry points. The speaker mentions having a pet dog, but clarifies that they do not have a pet bat despite rumors. There are concerns for the safety of their pets and themselves, and suggestions are made to involve the apartment owners and call pest control.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Over the past couple of days a large number of wasps have been getting inside my house. When I got home from work Monday and went to open the window next to my computer, there were 3 wasps between the blinds and window. I got the wasp spray and shot them down, before I could get something to dispose of them, 4 more wasps fell out of the window. I could not find where they had come from.

A couple of hours later, I heard the Fruit Bat scuffling with something and it was another wasp.

Yesterday when I came home, a war had obviously raged that day between a dozen wasps, my cat and my dog. Everything loose on my desk near the window was on the floor along with a dozen dead or squirming wasps. Last night the Fruit Bat took down another couple of wasps. I have checked EVERYWHERE for where they are getting in (they are only at this one window) and there are no holes, not even cracks. I've looked on the outside of the window and everything seems sealed up. I'm flaberghasted. It's like they are teleporting in. :bugeye:

I'm just hoping that a bunch don't get in today and harm Dr Foofer or the Fruit Bat. I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hang up a wasp trap. Those yellow things you get at the hardware store.

EDIT -- and put one outside near that window too.

berkeman said:
Hang up a wasp trap. Those yellow things you get at the hardware store.

EDIT -- and put one outside near that window too.
Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. It's all brick on the outside though, the window frame is (vinyl?), not wood. I wish I could figure out where they are coming in, I find them all around the window, but the ones the fruit bat got were towrds the living room. I was thinking they were coming out of the fireplace, perhaps had a nest in the chimney, but then why do they all go to that one window?

You might tape plastic over the entire window and see if that traps them. There is probably a crack between the window frame and the building somewhere... probably behind the molding.

When bees and wasps get in a house they usually head for a window. Could they be getting in somewhere else and this window happens to be the closest?

Definitly use the traps.

I was visiting a colleague yesterday. He remodeling his house, and he said that when they took of the siding they found all sorts of insects including bees and wasps.

As Ivan indicated they get into the wall through cracks and can find cracks/passages into the house. We've only had very few do that, but I've seen wasps building nests around parts of the siding - and I found one group building a nest in joint between two cinderblocks. The mortar had warn away and there was a hole just the right size for a wasp to crawl through.

Once inside they'll go to the window - usually with the most light. So in the morning, they go east and in the afternoon west. And you're more likely to find them on the south side of the house.

I could see one or two getting in through a crack, but we're talking about dozens seemingly at once. I've never seen anything like it.

It's the large number that concerns me with my pets.

This is not good Evo, The wasps are finished with their reproduction duties and having nothing to do anymore, they are just looking for trouble.

In Holland we would just call pest control. Perhaps try this.

Another tip... Take some incense and hold it by all the window and door frames to see where there could be a draft. Any place that you find a draft, close it up with sealer or something. I think those buggers are like mice and rats where they can squeeze through tiny holes.

And...

You have a pet bat? For real?

Ms Music said:
Another tip... Take some incense and hold it by all the window and door frames to see where there could be a draft. Any place that you find a draft, close it up with sealer or something. I think those buggers are like mice and rats where they can squeeze through tiny holes.
Good idea!

[quoteYou have a pet bat? For real?
No, he's just a tiny dog that loves fruit.

but there are 2 different rumors going around. 1.) Evo turns into a bat late at night and 2.) Evo turns people who make her mad into bats.

tribdog said:
but there are 2 different rumors going around. 1.) Evo turns into a bat late at night and 2.) Evo turns people who make her mad into bats.
3.) Evo drives people batty.

Evo said:
No, he's just a tiny dog that loves fruit.

Beware the blue eyed, long-tailed, crotch-dwelling froot bat. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're finding that many, there must be a nest somewhere, and it could be in a wall.

Have you looked in the window frame itself? One place I've had insects set up shop is in that space where the tension springs for the windows run. Usually, there's something over it to cover up the cords or springs, and you wouldn't immediately realize if there was a wasp's nest tucked down in there.

But, it's not Dr. Foofer and the Fruit Bat that I'm worried about. They seem able to take care of themselves. You're the one I'm worried will wind up stung if you try to take care of it yourself. This is something the apartment owners should take care of, so make them deal with the exterminators while you're safely at work.

If you are careful you won't get stung, go for it. Nobody likes a coward.

Moonbear said:
If you're finding that many, there must be a nest somewhere, and it could be in a wall.

Have you looked in the window frame itself? One place I've had insects set up shop is in that space where the tension springs for the windows run. Usually, there's something over it to cover up the cords or springs, and you wouldn't immediately realize if there was a wasp's nest tucked down in there.

But, it's not Dr. Foofer and the Fruit Bat that I'm worried about. They seem able to take care of themselves. You're the one I'm worried will wind up stung if you try to take care of it yourself. This is something the apartment owners should take care of, so make them deal with the exterminators while you're safely at work.
I got home and the wasp attack has ceased. I guess Dr Foofer and the Fruit Bat got them all. The Fruit Bat just found a dead one and was attacking it. Apparently they really ticked him off, he was pretty vicious, you DO NOT want to make him angry.

tribdog said:
If you are careful you won't get stung, go for it. Nobody likes a coward.
:devil: I'll remember this.

You'll remember that I'm the only one who had faith in you? wow, I'm touched.

tribdog said:
You'll remember that I'm the only one who had faith in you? wow, I'm touched.
Aw, see now, you made me feel bad. :frown:

I've had wasps lately too. I'm pretty sure they get in through a space between the screen door and the door frame but they almost always go straight for a window. Not sure why they come in in the first place. Be careful. Check and see if maybe there is an exterminator in your area that does free inspections.

Evo said:
Over the past couple of days a large number of wasps have been getting inside my house. When I got home from work Monday and went to open the window next to my computer, there were 3 wasps between the blinds and window. I got the wasp spray and shot them down, before I could get something to dispose of them, 4 more wasps fell out of the window. I could not find where they had come from.

A couple of hours later, I heard the Fruit Bat scuffling with something and it was another wasp.

Yesterday when I came home, a war had obviously raged that day between a dozen wasps, my cat and my dog. Everything loose on my desk near the window was on the floor along with a dozen dead or squirming wasps. Last night the Fruit Bat took down another couple of wasps. I have checked EVERYWHERE for where they are getting in (they are only at this one window) and there are no holes, not even cracks. I've looked on the outside of the window and everything seems sealed up. I'm flaberghasted. It's like they are teleporting in. :bugeye:

I'm just hoping that a bunch don't get in today and harm Dr Foofer or the Fruit Bat. I don't know what to do.

Wasps like those small holes on the bricks that serve for something to do with rain , may want to check there.

Illustrating the thread

WASP.JPG

Andre said:
Illustrating the thread

How cool is that...you can see she's got the spiky punk-look "hair" going on there.

I'd look twice before drinking out of that bottle!

Geeze o pete! I've been kiling wasps all day!

The Fruit Bat goes nuts when he sees one and starts to attack them, or starts barking if they're out of his reach. It's cute, I say "DANGER" and he scoots back and waits for me to get the wasp spray.

You have wasps at this time of year!?

Whereabouts do you live again?

It seems like they are getting in from outside the desk area. I would just spray around the window and any possible openings on the outside of the house twice a day. Morning and after work.

JasonRox said:

It seems like they are getting in from outside the desk area. I would just spray around the window and any possible openings on the outside of the house twice a day. Morning and after work.

I'd be calling an exterminator if there were wasps coming in this time of year. That would suggest to me they are living in the walls someplace protected from the weather.

JasonRox said:

I live in Kansas. We haven't had a freeze yet, it was in the 70's today.

Evo said:
I live in Kansas. We haven't had a freeze yet, it was in the 70's today.

I have no idea what 70 is in celsius.

Well, let's hope that freeze kicks in soon.

Evo said:
Geeze o pete! I've been kiling wasps all day!

The Fruit Bat goes nuts when he sees one and starts to attack them, or starts barking if they're out of his reach. It's cute, I say "DANGER" and he scoots back and waits for me to get the wasp spray.

Please tell me the name of the spray that you can use indoors. This will solve so, SO many of my problems in life.

jasonrox said:
i have no idea what 70 is in celsius.

Well, let's hope that freeze kicks in soon.

~21 c

Moonbear said:
~21 c

That's warm! That's like ideal temperature.

SticksandStones said:
Please tell me the name of the spray that you can use indoors. This will solve so, SO many of my problems in life.
Any indoor flying insect spray will work. I used to have special wasp spray, but I found that Raid flying insect spray works just fine, it just doesn't have that jet that can nail a wasp 20 feet away.

OH oh, Evo if they are yellow jackets they can mess up a wall pretty quick. They will chew up the insulation and work on the wall board. Time to call a professional pest control and I would do it now.

JasonRox said:
That's warm! That's like ideal temperature.

Yes, very warm. I know Kansas is further south than I am, but I didn't realize it was THAT far south. Though, we had temps almost as warm today, but it was around freezing earlier this week, with overnight frosts several nights of the past two weeks. That seems to be typical for this area to get a lot of bouncing of temperatures in fall and spring. We're right on the border of jet streams, so can quickly switch between the arctic chills and the tropical heat it seems.

1. What are the signs of a wasp infestation in my home?

Some common signs of a wasp infestation include seeing a large number of wasps around your home, finding nests or hives on your property, and hearing a buzzing sound near potential nesting sites. You may also notice an increase in wasp activity during the warmer months.

2. How do wasps get into my home?

Wasps can enter your home through small cracks and openings, such as gaps in window screens or holes in the walls. They may also build nests in or around your home, allowing them easy access indoors.

3. Are wasps dangerous to humans?

Wasps can be dangerous to humans, especially those who are allergic to their venom. If you are stung by a wasp, it is important to seek medical attention if you experience severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face and throat.

4. How can I get rid of a wasp infestation?

The best way to get rid of a wasp infestation is to contact a professional pest control service. They will have the necessary equipment and expertise to safely remove the wasps and their nests from your home. It is not recommended to try and remove a wasp nest on your own as it can be dangerous.

5. How can I prevent a wasp infestation in the future?

To prevent a wasp infestation, it is important to seal any cracks or openings in your home where wasps could enter. Keep your outdoor areas clean and free of food and garbage, as this can attract wasps. Regularly inspect your property for any signs of wasp activity and address any nests or hives as soon as possible.