Internal resistance of a digital multimeter

In summary, the conversation discusses using a digital multimeter (DMM) to estimate its internal resistance by connecting a 10 MΩ resistor in series with it and observing the voltage reading on a DC black box circuit. This is based on the understanding that resistances in parallel result in a smaller overall resistance. However, the purpose of the 10 MΩ resistor in this estimation process is still unclear.
obsoletepower

Homework Statement

Provided that the input resistance of the DMM is
much larger than the resistance values in the circuit to
which it is connected, the DMM will not draw a
significant current. Estimate the input resistance of the
DMM by connecting the 10 M resistor supplied in
series with it and noting the voltage reading when
this series combination is connected to your DC black
box. Explain clearly the logic of doing this.

Basically I have a simple circuit with a DC black box which is a box with a 1.5V battery and three resistors (1 in series and 2 in parallel) and I have a digital multimeter that I have to estimate its internal resistance by connecting a 10 MΩ resistor to the circuit in series with the multimeter. I can't really think of why connecting such a large resistor would help determine the internal resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't been able to come up with an answer because first I need to understand the role of the 10 MΩ resistor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the meter as a meter + a 1M resistor in series.
Now connect a 10M resistor across the meter inputs.

What do you know about resitances in parallel

mgb_phys said:
Draw the meter as a meter + a 1M resistor in series.
Now connect a 10M resistor across the meter inputs.

What do you know about resitances in parallel

First of all, I appreciate your post.

Well, for resistances in parallel we know that the overall resistance will be smaller than any individual resistance. so in this case 1 / R = 1 / R_s + 1 / R_p where R_s is the series resistor and R_p is the parallel resistor. so R = 0.9M, roughly. I still don't get why the 10M resistor is needed.

Last edited:

1. What is internal resistance in a digital multimeter?

Internal resistance in a digital multimeter refers to the resistance present within the meter itself. This resistance can affect the accuracy of the measurements taken by the multimeter, especially when measuring low resistance values.

2. How does internal resistance affect the accuracy of a digital multimeter?

The internal resistance of a digital multimeter can cause errors in measurements, particularly when measuring low resistance values. This is because the internal resistance of the meter can create a voltage drop, which can skew the readings.

3. Can the internal resistance of a digital multimeter be adjusted?

No, the internal resistance of a digital multimeter cannot be adjusted by the user. It is a fixed value that is determined by the design and components of the meter. However, some meters may have a switch or function to compensate for the internal resistance in certain measurements.

4. How can I minimize the impact of internal resistance on my measurements?

To minimize the impact of internal resistance on your measurements, you can use a meter with a low internal resistance. This is typically indicated by a low resistance measurement range on the meter. Additionally, make sure to use the correct measurement function and range for your specific needs.

5. Is internal resistance the same as input impedance in a digital multimeter?

No, internal resistance and input impedance are not the same in a digital multimeter. Internal resistance refers to the resistance within the meter itself, while input impedance refers to the resistance between the input terminals of the meter. Both can affect the accuracy of measurements, but they are different factors to consider.