Suitability of Sakurai for QM Learning

• Thread starter PhysicalAnomaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the person was advised to learn QM from Sakurai, but their university's library doesn't have a copy of the book. They are familiar with basic linear algebra and will be learning more from Friedberg. They are getting tired of the simplified versions of physics and would like some advice on the suitability and alternatives.
PhysicalAnomaly
Hi,

I was advised to learn QM from Sakurai since I was interested in learning QM. However, my university's library doesn't have a copy so I can't look through it to decide if it is suitable.

I am familiar with all the basic linear algebra (orthogonality, diagonalisation, eigenvectors, vector spaces) and will be learning more from Friedberg. I don't have much experience with de's except for the basics and the basic use of operators and computational solutions. I've read from this forum that these are the two that are most needed.

I've done first year physics along the lines of Knight and HRW and read a bit of Modern Physics by Harris. I've gotten tired though by the way we are assumed to not be able to understand any of the "real" stuff and are treated to condensed and simplified versions where only special cases are considered.

Please advise on the suitability and alternatives as required. Or what I'd need to study before I can jump in.

PS I looked at the first chapter of Ballentine which my library does have and found it to be at a reasonable level, not so difficult that I had to stop somewhere. Is Sakurai more difficult?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballentine and Sakurai are at about the same level. For comments about Ballentine, see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276701.

At lower level, but still at a much higher level than modern physics texts, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths is good for self-study.

Sakurai uses strictly ket notations. If you are never introduced to ket notations it might be a little hard to follow

QM by Bransden and Joachain uses classical notations which maybe familiar with more people.

If you've only had a year of physics then I wouldn't even recommend going as high as Griffiths. I would start with Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, and Nuclei (or something like that) by Eisberg and Resnick. Simply knowing linear algebra isn't enough, you also have to learn how to solve wave equations with different potentials. That book will step you through it.

If you mean solving, the Schrodinger equation for different situations then I think I've covered that in Modern Physics... up to the 3D case and hydrogen atom.

Perhaps I should have a look at Eisberg Resnick. Would be good to go and cover nuclear physics as well.

PS I just read the first chapter of Gasiorowicz and realized that all their energy is quoted in ergs. o_O

PPS Would Landau be better?

Last edited:

1. What is Sakurai and how is it used for learning quantum mechanics?

Sakurai refers to the textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics" written by physicist Jun John Sakurai. It is commonly used as a resource for learning the fundamentals of quantum mechanics, with a focus on mathematical formalism and concepts.

2. Is Sakurai suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Sakurai is often recommended for students with a strong background in mathematics and physics, as it can be quite rigorous and challenging for beginners. However, with dedication and a willingness to learn, it can be a valuable resource for beginners as well.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using Sakurai for learning quantum mechanics?

A strong understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and classical mechanics is highly recommended before delving into Sakurai's textbook. It is also helpful to have some prior knowledge of quantum mechanics concepts, although not strictly necessary.

4. What makes Sakurai a good resource for learning quantum mechanics?

Sakurai's textbook is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex quantum mechanics concepts. It also includes many practice problems and examples to help solidify understanding. Additionally, it covers a wide range of topics and is often used in upper-level undergraduate and graduate courses.

5. Can Sakurai be used as the sole resource for learning quantum mechanics?

Sakurai can be a valuable resource for learning quantum mechanics, but it is not recommended to rely solely on one textbook for such a complex subject. It is beneficial to supplement with other resources, such as lectures, online tutorials, and additional textbooks, to gain a well-rounded understanding of quantum mechanics.