Discovering the Taylor Series for cos(x) at PI: Finding the Right Pattern

In summary: But what about the -1 term? That's the one that's tricky. You're right, the -1 term does switch between -1 and 1. However, if you just multiply the entire sum by -1, the -1 term will stay -1. e.g. (-1)^n/(2n)! x2n+...In summary, the -1 term switches between -1 and 1, but if you just multiply the entire sum by -1, the -1 term will stay -1.
bobber205
Trying to find the Taylor Series for cos(x) where x0 is PI.
I've gotten

Code:
cos(x) -1
-sin(x) 0
-cos(x) 1
sin(x) 0
cos(x) -1

It's clearly 0 every other term so I need 2k or 2k-1. But the -1 term switches between -1 and 1
How in world do I deal with this? xD

Thanks for any suggestions. I am assuming I've made a mistake somewhere.
I've asked my fellow students and they're cheating with k+1 which does work.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
bobber205 said:
Trying to find the Taylor Series for cos(x) where x0 is PI.
I've gotten

Code:
cos(x) -1
-sin(x) 0
-cos(x) 1
sin(x) 0
cos(x) -1

It's clearly 0 every other term so I need 2k or 2k-1. But the -1 term switches between -1 and 1
How in world do I deal with this? xD

Thanks for any suggestions. I am assuming I've made a mistake somewhere.
I've asked my fellow students and they're cheating with k+1 which does work.
Thanks! :)
Why would you think k + 1 is cheating? I'm assuming you're talking about the exponent on -1 to give sign alternation.

Is it correct?

Is what correct?

So far, you have, for the Taylor's series of cosine(x), about [itex]\pi[/itex],
-1 + (1/2)x2- (1/4!)x4+ ...

First, it should be clear that you will only have even powers of x and even numbers can be written "2n". That is, (1/(2(2))!)x4= (1/(2!) x2(2) and (1/6!)x6 = 1/(3(2))! x2(3). The only problem, then, is the power of -1.

The first term is n= 1 and that is positive. (-1)n would give (-1)1= -1. To fix that you could just multiply the entire sum by -1:
(-1)(-1+ (1/2!)x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)^n/(2n)! x2n+ ...)

That is the same as multiplying the -1 in each term:
1- (1/2!)x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)(-1)n/(2n)! x2n+...

Which can also be written with (-1)n+1:
1- (1/2!) x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)n+1/(2n)! x2n+ ...

Nothing "cheating" about that.

HallsofIvy said:
So far, you have, for the Taylor's series of cosine(x), about [itex]\pi[/itex],
-1 + (1/2)x2- (1/4!)x4+ ...
Since this is a Taylor's series about [itex]\pi[/itex], all of the terms should be powers of [itex]x - \pi[/itex], not powers of x.
HallsofIvy said:
First, it should be clear that you will only have even powers of x and even numbers can be written "2n". That is, (1/(2(2))!)x4= (1/(2!) x2(2) and (1/6!)x6 = 1/(3(2))! x2(3). The only problem, then, is the power of -1.

The first term is n= 1 and that is positive. (-1)n would give (-1)1= -1. To fix that you could just multiply the entire sum by -1:
(-1)(-1+ (1/2!)x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)^n/(2n)! x2n+ ...)

That is the same as multiplying the -1 in each term:
1- (1/2!)x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)(-1)n/(2n)! x2n+...

Which can also be written with (-1)n+1:
1- (1/2!) x2- (1/6!)x6+ ...+ (-1)n+1/(2n)! x2n+ ...

Nothing "cheating" about that.

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of infinite terms. It allows us to approximate a function at a specific point using a polynomial expression.

2. How is the Taylor Series used to find the pattern for cos(x) at PI?

The Taylor Series for cos(x) at PI is used to find the pattern by substituting x with PI in the general expression for the Taylor Series of cos(x), which is cos(x) = Σn=0 to ∞ ((-1)^n * x^(2n)) / (2n)!.

3. Why is PI used as the point of approximation for cos(x)?

PI is used as the point of approximation for cos(x) because it is a commonly occurring value in trigonometric functions and it simplifies the calculations for the Taylor Series.

4. What is the significance of finding the pattern for cos(x) at PI?

Finding the pattern for cos(x) at PI allows us to approximate the value of cos(x) at any point near PI with a high degree of accuracy. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Can the Taylor Series for cos(x) at PI be generalized for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the Taylor Series can be generalized for other trigonometric functions by substituting the function's formula in place of cos(x) in the general expression for the Taylor Series. This allows us to approximate other trigonometric functions at a specific point using a similar polynomial expression.