Name C6H5-O-C(CH3)3: IUPAC Nomenclature

• Thread starter blitz.km
  • Start date
In summary, the compound C6H5-O-C(CH3)3, also known as Phenyl t-butyl ether, has two possible IUPAC names: 1,1-dimethyl 1-phenoxy ethane and 2-methyl 2-phenoxy propane. The correct name may depend on which naming convention is used, as one uses the smaller 'ethane' while the other uses the longest chain, 'propane'. It is important to consider the main functional group, which is attached to the 2nd carbon of the chain. However, this does not affect the overall name of the compound.
blitz.km
C6H5-O-C(CH3)3

This compound is given in my textbook with its trivial name "Phenyl t-butyl ether".
I tried to write its IUPAC name.. but I am getting confused between these 2 names:

1,1-dimethyl 1-phenoxy ethane
and
2-methyl 2-phenoxy propane

Please help! And explain your answer too.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you have a diagram?

one of your names uses the smaller 'ethane' and the other uses the longest chain, 'propane'. Which do you think is correct?

Yeah I know we prefer the longest carbon chain.
But here the main functional group is attached to the 2nd carbon of the chain..
so I got confused..
Does that matter?

Nope.

Thank you.

1. What does C6H5-O-C(CH3)3 stand for?

C6H5-O-C(CH3)3 is the chemical formula for a compound called tert-butyl phenyl ether.

2. What is the IUPAC nomenclature for C6H5-O-C(CH3)3?

The IUPAC nomenclature for C6H5-O-C(CH3)3 is 2-methyl-2-phenylpropane-1-ol.

3. How do you determine the IUPAC name for a compound?

The IUPAC name for a compound is determined by following a set of rules established by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). These rules specify the order in which the substituents in a compound should be named and how to name them based on their functional groups and positions.

4. What is the purpose of using IUPAC nomenclature?

IUPAC nomenclature is used to provide a standardized and systematic way of naming chemical compounds. This helps to avoid confusion and ensure that the names of compounds are consistent and universally understood by scientists and researchers.

5. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC nomenclature rules?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the IUPAC nomenclature rules, particularly for complex or highly specialized compounds. In these cases, a modified version of the rules may be used, or a common name may be used instead of the systematic IUPAC name.