Calculating Ohmic Heating Loss in a Conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time-averaged ohmic heating loss per unit volume for a plane wave with given equations for E and B. The solution involves using Maxwell's equations for linear media and taking the dot product of J and E. However, there is a caution to be careful with the use of Re() when simplifying the equation.
smcdan32
question
For a plane wave of the form E(z,t)=Ee^i(kz-wt) and B(z,t)=Ee^(-kz)*e^i(kz-wt) write down the time-averaged ohmic heating loss per unit volume for any z.

Homework Equations

J=[tex]\sigma[/tex]E
Maxwell's equations for linear media

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure where to start, i need a nudge

Physics news on Phys.org
You know E, and you gave us the equation for J, so you know J. Do you know how to find the Ohmic heating, given J and E?

yea i figured it out. you take the dot product of J and E.

ok now i have Re([tex]\sigma[/tex]) ((Ee^(-kz)e^i(kz-[tex]\omega[/tex]t))^2)/2

is this right? do i need to simplify if I am going to integrate with respect to z?

Careful with the Re(). Remember Re(A) Re(B) is not equal to Re(AB) since there are cross terms. Here it looks like you assumed Re(E^2) = (Re(E))^2, which it's not.

so is what i have already wrong?

What is Ohmic Heating in a Conductor?

Ohmic heating, also known as Joule heating, is the process of heating a conductor due to the flow of electrical current through it. This heating is caused by the resistance of the conductor, which converts electrical energy into heat.

What Factors Affect Ohmic Heating in a Conductor?

The amount of heat produced through Ohmic heating depends on several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the conductor, the resistance of the conductor, and the duration of the current flow. The material and dimensions of the conductor also play a role in determining the amount of heat produced.

How is Ohmic Heating Used in Practical Applications?

Ohmic heating is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as in electric stoves, heaters, and soldering irons. It is also used in manufacturing processes, such as welding, metal melting, and heat treating. Additionally, Ohmic heating is being explored as a potential method for food preservation and processing.

What are the Advantages of Using Ohmic Heating?

One of the main advantages of Ohmic heating is its efficiency. Unlike other heating methods, such as gas or oil, all of the electrical energy is converted into heat, making it a more cost-effective option. Ohmic heating also allows for precise temperature control and is a clean and environmentally friendly method of heating.

What are the Limitations of Ohmic Heating?

The main limitation of Ohmic heating is that it is only effective in conductors, such as metal. This means that it cannot be used to heat non-conductive materials. Additionally, the high current required for Ohmic heating can cause safety concerns and potential damage to the equipment if not controlled properly.