Is the Continuum Hypothesis Valid if the Interval is Wrapped into a Semi-Circle?

• Thread starter TheAlkemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, my friend was questioning whether or not it was cheating to bend the string in order to relate the interval (0,pi) to the half circle. I explained that this is an intuitive picture of what's happening and that you can prove it if you want.
TheAlkemist
I was talking to a friend recently about the nature of infinity and Georg Cantor's Continuum Hypothesis and I recanted a statement from a Youtube video I watched:

"any interval of the continuum, now matter how small, has the same size as the contiuum itself"

from the 6:54 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WihXin5Oxq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WihXin5Oxq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The mapping of the interval from A to B onto the continuum (through 1-to-1 correspondence pairing of elements) was done by first "wrapping up" the interval into a semi-circle and then pairing.

Now my friend thinks this is cheating. That once you bend the interval line (change the geometry) you have effectively changed the property of the line and therefor can't relate it to the continuum.

How do I explain to him that this isn't cheating?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

For the record, I'm not a mathematician so please forgive my ignorance :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This probably shouldn't be in Topology & Geometry.
TheAlkemist said:
Now my friend thinks this is cheating. That once you bend the interval line (change the geometry) you have effectively changed the property of the line and therefor can't relate it to the continuum.
Well, it is of course an intuitive picture of what's going on. If you want to prove it, you should give the bijections explicitly. But ask him: if you have a piece of string of some length L, and you bend the string, will the length change? A bijection between the interval (0,pi) and a half circle can easily be given explicitly: send t in (0,pi) to e^{it}=(cos t, sin t).

If he just wants a solid proof of the whole thing:
There is a bijection
[tex](0,1)\to (a,b)[/tex] given by [tex]x\mapsto a+(b-a)x[/tex]
and a bijection
[tex](0,1)\to \mathbb{R}[/tex] given by [tex]x\mapsto \tan\left(\pi(\x-\frac{1}{2})\right)[/tex].

Hence the composition
[tex](a,b)\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] given by [tex]y\mapsto \tan\left(\pi\left(\frac{y-a}{b-a}-\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)[/tex]
is a bijection, so [tex]|(a,b)|=|\mathbb{R}|[/tex].

Last edited:
Landau said:
This probably shouldn't be in Topology & Geometry.
Well, it is of course an intuitive picture of what's going on. If you want to prove it, you should give the bijections explicitly. But ask him: if you have a piece of string of some length L, and you bend the string, will the length change? A bijection between the interval (0,pi) and a half circle can easily be given explicitly: send t in (0,pi) to e^{it}=(cos t, sin t).

If he just wants a solid proof of the whole thing:
There is a bijection
[tex](0,1)\to (a,b)[/tex] given by [tex]x\mapsto a+(b-a)x[/tex]
and a bijection
[tex](0,1)\to \mathbb{R}[/tex] given by [tex]x\mapsto \tan\left(\pi(\x-\frac{1}{2})\right)[/tex].

Hence the composition
[tex](a,b)\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] given by [tex]y\mapsto \tan\left(\pi\left(\frac{y-a}{b-a}-\frac{1}{2}\right)\right)[/tex]
is a bijection, so [tex]|(a,b)|=|\mathbb{R}|[/tex].

Thanks for this. :)

1. How do I explain complex scientific concepts to non-scientists?

It can be challenging to explain complex scientific concepts to non-scientists, but here are a few tips that can help:

• Start with the basics and build upon them. Use everyday examples to help illustrate the concept.
  • Use analogies or metaphors to help make the concept more relatable.
  • Provide visual aids, such as diagrams or videos, to help enhance understanding.
  • Encourage questions and engage in a dialogue to clarify any misunderstandings.

2. How do I explain my research to a general audience?

Explaining your research to a general audience can be daunting, but here are some tips to help simplify the process:

• Start with the big picture and explain the purpose and significance of your research.
  • Avoid using technical jargon and explain any scientific terms in simple language.
  • Use storytelling techniques to make your research more engaging and relatable.
  • Provide real-world examples or applications of your research to help the audience understand its relevance.

3. How do I explain my scientific findings to my peers?

Explaining your scientific findings to your peers can be nerve-wracking, but here are some tips to help you effectively communicate your research:

• Start with a brief overview of your research and its purpose.
  • Provide a clear and concise explanation of your methodology and results.
  • Use visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to help illustrate your findings.
  • Be prepared to answer questions and engage in a discussion about your research.

4. How do I explain conflicting scientific data?

Explaining conflicting scientific data can be challenging, but here are some tips to help you navigate this situation:

• Start by acknowledging the conflicting data and explaining why it may have occurred.
  • Provide a thorough explanation of your methodology and data collection processes.
  • Discuss any limitations or potential sources of error in your study.
  • Encourage an open and respectful discussion with your peers to help reach a better understanding of the conflicting data.

5. How do I explain the importance of scientific research?

Explaining the importance of scientific research is crucial in helping non-scientists understand its value. Here are some tips to help you effectively communicate the importance of scientific research:

• Start by explaining the purpose and goals of scientific research.
  • Provide concrete examples of how scientific research has led to important discoveries or advancements in society.
  • Discuss the potential benefits and impacts of your own research or a specific scientific field.
  • Emphasize the importance of continued funding and support for scientific research.