Lemon juice vs Lemon juice + salt

• Thread starter pumaking94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, adding salt to lemon juice (citric acid?) speeds up the dissolution of whatever is present on the copper surface.
pumaking94
Hello,

I did an experiment to try and clean copper pennies with acids like lemon juice and vinegar. When they are dipped in only lemon juice, nothing happens. However, when you add salt, the effect is almost instantaneous. Why does adding salt to lemon juice (citric acid?) make it a much stronger acid? I've looked online and some people say it is because you have H+ and Cl- which makes hydrochloric acid but it also says that it is not the real explanation. If someone can explain what is really going on, that would be great.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know what is the mechanism behind, but it is not change in the strength of the acid. For some reason chlorides speed up dissolution of whatever is present on the copper surface. Could be some complexation is involved, or perhaps when chlorides adsorb on the surface they weaken copper-oxide bond (I am just guessing, but similar mechanisms do exist).

Borek said:
I don't know what is the mechanism behind, but it is not change in the strength of the acid. For some reason chlorides speed up dissolution of whatever is present on the copper surface. Could be some complexation is involved, or perhaps when chlorides adsorb on the surface they weaken copper-oxide bond (I am just guessing, but similar mechanisms do exist).

So would it be correct to say that the chloride ions act as a catalyst? And would this work with any other negative ions such as F, Br? Sorry if these are simple questions I'm only in high school chemistry.

Catalyst - could be. Although it is also possible that one of the products is some chloride containing complex, in which case chlorides are being consumed, so they can't be classified as a catalyst. As to other halogen anions - hard to tell without testing. These are not simple questions :smile:

--
methods

Oh I see, I find chemistry so interesting and I was just curious. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the difference between using lemon juice alone and lemon juice with salt?

Using lemon juice alone provides the sour and acidic flavor of lemons, while adding salt enhances the overall taste by balancing out the acidity and adding a savory element.

2. Can adding salt to lemon juice change its health benefits?

Yes, adding salt to lemon juice can change its health benefits. Lemon juice alone is a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants, but adding salt can increase the sodium content and reduce some of the health benefits.

3. How does using lemon juice with salt affect the taste of food?

Using lemon juice with salt can enhance the flavor of food by adding a tangy and savory taste. It can also help to bring out the natural flavors of other ingredients in a dish.

4. Is there a specific type of salt that should be used with lemon juice?

No, there is no specific type of salt that should be used with lemon juice. It is a matter of personal preference, but coarse sea salt or kosher salt are often recommended for their texture and ability to evenly distribute on food.

5. Can lemon juice and salt be used as a natural cleaning solution?

Yes, lemon juice and salt can be mixed together to create a natural cleaning solution for removing stains and disinfecting surfaces. The acidic properties of lemon juice and abrasive texture of salt make it a powerful cleaning agent.