Line Integrals of piecewise curves to find mass of wire

In summary, the conversation discusses using a line integral to find the mass of a wire that lies along a piecewise linear curve. The density of the wire is given by (xy)=3xy+2y, and the integration process involves finding two C values and parametrizing using (1-t)R0+tR1. The conversation also mentions the substitution process and potential errors, but ultimately concludes that the problem can be solved by integrating 3xy+2y along the two paths.
batmankiller

Homework Statement

A wire lies along the piecewise linear curve extending from the point (4,3) to the point (6,15) to the point (12,15). If the density of the wire is given by (xy)=3xy+2y, use a line integral to find the mass of the wire.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to find two C (C1 and C2) where C1=(4,3) to (6,15) and C2=(6,15) to (12,15) and do two integrals and add the two up. I Assume I have to parametrize using (1-t)R0+tR1 for each C1 and C2.
But then I have to substitute for t in all the x and ys and that gets really ugly especially the ds part which is sqrt((3y+2y)^2+(3x+2)^2) and I have to substitute my t components and then I have to do it for C2. This problem seems way too difficult and easy to make errors. Is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're integrating 3xy+2y along those two paths. For the first path, a parameterization is y(t)=6t-21 and x(t)=t so that would be:

[tex]\int_4^6 \big(3t(6t-21)+2(6t-21)\big)\sqrt{1+36}dt[/tex]

and the second one would be equally easy to set up and evaluate

Last edited:

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the total value of a scalar or vector function along a given curve in a specified direction. It is used to find quantities such as work, mass, and electric charge.

2. How are line integrals used to find the mass of a wire?

To find the mass of a wire using line integrals, we first divide the wire into small segments and assign each segment a density. Then, we use the line integral formula to calculate the sum of the masses of all the segments, which gives us the total mass of the wire.

3. What is a piecewise curve?

A piecewise curve is a curve that is made up of multiple segments or pieces that are connected at specific points. These curves are often used in line integrals to represent objects with varying densities or other properties.

4. Can line integrals be applied to three-dimensional objects?

Yes, line integrals can be used to find the mass of three-dimensional objects as well. In this case, the curve is a path along the surface of the object, and the density is a function of three variables (x, y, z) instead of just one (x).

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals to find mass?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the mass of wires, cables, and other objects with varying densities. They can also be applied in meteorology to calculate the total amount of precipitation along a given path or in economics to calculate the total production of goods along a supply chain.