Baryon quark model: just a question

In summary, the spatial part of the wavefunction for the lightest baryons is assumed to be symmetric under an interchange of any two quarks, due to the quark static model. The Pauli principle is not violated because of the color degree of freedom, which requires the wavefunction to be antisymmetric. The lowest energy state of any system generally has no nodes, introducing more curvature and increasing the energy. Therefore, the state with no internal or total orbital angular momentum is the ground state. For the lightest baryons, the spatial part of the wavefunction has l=0, but it may not be completely spherical due to the three-body nature of the system.
Jake-Blues
I'm in trouble on answer to this question: "Wich is the (most probable) symmetry of the spatial part of the wavefunction for the lightest baryons? Why?"

I know that the spatial and spin parts of a baryon wavefunction must be simmetric under an interchange of any two quarks (this is an assumption on the quark static model, at least for the lightest baryons: the Pauli principle is not violated because there's the colour degree of freedom: to be "colourless" a baryon must be antysimmetric on the colour degree of freedom, so his "total" wavefunction results antysimmetric), and i also know that the spatial part in the lightest baryons has l=0, but I'm not able to motivate that answer exactly.

What i am forgetting?
Someone can help me?

Sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
The lowest energy state of any system generally has no nodes.
Nodes introduce more curvature into the wave function which increases the energy. This makes the state with no internal or total orbital angular momentum the ground state.

Meir Achuz said:
The lowest energy state of any system generally has no nodes.
Nodes introduce more curvature into the wave function which increases the energy. This makes the state with no internal or total orbital angular momentum the ground state.

Then, talking about symmetry of the spatial part of the wavefunction, it's a spherical one, the most probably?

Thank you.

It is a three body wave function. While it has no angular momentum, it need not be completely spherical. That is, the distance between the two u quarks in a proton can be larger than that between a u land d quari.

1. What is the Baryon quark model?

The Baryon quark model is a theoretical framework that describes the structure of baryons, which are particles composed of three quarks. It is based on the idea that quarks are the fundamental building blocks of matter and are held together by the strong nuclear force.

2. How does the Baryon quark model explain the properties of baryons?

The Baryon quark model explains the properties of baryons by considering the different combinations of quarks that make up these particles. By assigning specific quantum numbers to each quark, the model can account for the observed properties of baryons, such as their mass, spin, and charge.

3. What evidence supports the Baryon quark model?

The Baryon quark model is supported by a vast amount of experimental evidence, including high-energy particle collisions, scattering experiments, and spectroscopy studies. These experiments have confirmed the existence of quarks and their properties, providing strong evidence for the validity of the model.

4. Can the Baryon quark model explain the properties of all baryons?

The Baryon quark model can explain the properties of most baryons, but there are some exceptions. For instance, there are particles known as exotic baryons that cannot be explained by the model, and their existence remains a topic of ongoing research.

5. How has the Baryon quark model evolved over time?

The Baryon quark model has evolved significantly since its inception in the 1960s. Initially, it only considered baryons made up of three quarks, but later on, it was extended to include other particles like mesons, which are composed of a quark and an antiquark. Additionally, the model has been refined to better account for the observed properties of baryons, and it continues to be a crucial tool for understanding the structure of matter.