Exploring the Universe: A 14-Year-Old's Journey

• Thread starter Stodaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation is about a 14-year-old who wants to pursue a career in aerospace engineering, astrophysics, or energy research. They are seeking advice and recommendations for books and resources to help them in their studies. The conversation also includes a reference to the scientist Sheldon from the TV show The Big Bang Theory. The experts in the conversation offer suggestions for books and encourage the individual to continue pursuing their passion for space and physics.
Stodaire
Hello my friends!

I'm a freshman(14 years old) and i want to be an aerospace engineer or an astrophysicist or an energy researcher...actually, i love the space...-maybe some of you guys have this feeling, i can't explain it...(bazinga!*)-. I don't really know what i want to do, because i want to make the new propellants for ships, explore the universe and find its misetries(like the formation of stars etc...) and find a new type on energy...(these are dreams, some of you will understand me !) You understood me, I'm really in love with the space/physics so i really want to know everythings about ! The problem is that, i don't know what to do...i know there are books etc...but there are a thousands and thousands of them...i don't know which ones choose, so i am wondering if you can help me for my beginning...

Thank you !

*Reference to Sheldon, the scientist !

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm french...
PS2: Sorry if it's the wrong forum...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sheldon.
No one here cares about your ethnicity, as long as there is no unconquerable language barrier. Even if such exists, there are interpreters available.
You are sort of in the same situation as I am, except that you have unlimited potential. You have time to hang out here and get a degree of some sort in a post-secondary school, which are denied to me.
Keep at it, man... you're in the right place. :cool:

Thank you dude, it's really nice !

I'm going to buy a book named " le destin de l'univers " by J-P Luminet, according to my physics teacher, it's the bible of astrophysics ! But i still need some advices of you guys !

Hey.

I was a bit in your spot a few years ago, you know? I just knew I loved the mysterious things that the universe holds far from us, such as black holes, the Big Bang, all that.
There are 2 books that made me make an incredibly important decision on my life, which is to study Theoretical Physics. They are:

''Theory of Everything'' - Stephen Hawking (It's not actually his, but it's labelled as such)

''The universe in a nutshell'' - Stephen Hawking

Also, I recommend you to go to your local library, and ask for books about physics, you might find something.

Hope this helped.

Thanks !

But first, i prefer to study astronautical engineering because i have been reading astrophysics things for a while ...

Well, for me, when I was about your age... I asked for-and got http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=FEEXAM&idx=0&pr=EIT8" for Christmas. I feel as though it did a good job of "just giving me the equations" with a little background information. It didn't confuse me with all the mathematical derivations which I was not mathematically mature enough to understand. (I still have this book)

For Aero books, try http://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_flight.html?id=Hd_AR0CAmsoC" for a good introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, AIR&SPACE !
Sorry for my late response, I've been busy...
Do you think that a freshman(14 years old) can understand the second book?

Yes. It's about as non-textbooky as a textbook can be; everything is explained very well and doesn't assume the reader knows everything. Plus, Anderson is one of the premier aero professors out there.

1. What inspired you to write "Exploring the Universe: A 14-Year-Old's Journey?"

I have always been fascinated by space and the vastness of the universe. As a scientist, I wanted to share my knowledge and passion for the subject with young readers and inspire them to explore the wonders of the universe.

2. What age range is this book appropriate for?

This book is suitable for readers aged 12-18, but anyone with an interest in space and astronomy will find it informative and engaging.

3. What makes this book different from other books about the universe?

This book is written specifically for 14-year-olds and is designed to be accessible and engaging for younger readers. It presents complex scientific concepts in a simple and easy-to-understand manner, making it a perfect introduction to the universe for young minds.

4. Can this book be used as a learning tool in schools?

Yes, this book is a great resource for teachers to use in the classroom. It covers a wide range of topics related to the universe and includes interactive activities and experiments to help students understand the concepts better.

5. What do you hope young readers will take away from this book?

I hope that young readers will develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for the universe and all its wonders. I also hope to inspire them to pursue a career in science and continue to explore and expand our knowledge of the universe.