Do all bodies radiate at all frequencies?

In summary, the conversation discusses how bodies with a temperature above absolute zero radiate energy, and the formula for calculating this energy. The question is raised about finding the frequency of the power emitted by a body based on its temperature, and the possibility of using this information to make a gas glow. Planck's radiation law is mentioned as a way to determine the frequency distribution of a body's radiation.
zeromodz
I know that all bodies with a temperature above absolute zero radiate energy away as the following.

P = AeσT^4

However, I wanted to know how you could find the frequency of the power being emitted just by knowing the temperature. For example, how would I find out how much heat I need to put in a specific gas in order for it to radiate visible light (make it glow). I know that the hotter you get it, the more variety of frequencies you get.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeromodz said:
I know that all bodies with a temperature above absolute zero radiate energy away as the following.

P = AeσT^4

However, I wanted to know how you could find the frequency of the power being emitted just by knowing the temperature. For example, how would I find out how much heat I need to put in a specific gas in order for it to radiate visible light (make it glow). I know that the hotter you get it, the more variety of frequencies you get.
The frequency distribution as a function of temperature is given by Planck's radiation law. See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_law"

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Do all objects emit radiation?

Yes, all objects with a temperature above absolute zero emit radiation. This is because all objects are made up of particles that are constantly moving and have energy, which results in the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

2. At what frequencies do bodies radiate?

Bodies can radiate at all frequencies, from low radio waves to high gamma rays. The frequency at which a body radiates depends on its temperature. Hotter objects emit radiation at higher frequencies, while colder objects emit radiation at lower frequencies.

3. Is the amount of radiation emitted by a body constant?

No, the amount of radiation emitted by a body changes with its temperature. As the temperature of a body increases, the amount of radiation emitted also increases. This is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

4. Can we see the radiation emitted by all bodies?

No, not all radiation emitted by bodies is visible to the human eye. Our eyes are only able to detect a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as visible light. Bodies also emit radiation at other frequencies, such as infrared, ultraviolet, and x-rays, which are not visible to us.

5. How does the color of an object relate to the frequency of its emitted radiation?

The color of an object is related to the frequency of its emitted radiation through the phenomenon of blackbody radiation. As the temperature of an object increases, the peak frequency of its radiation shifts towards the visible spectrum, resulting in a change in color. This is why hotter objects appear to be "redder" and colder objects appear to be "bluer".