Does light interact with an atomic nucleus

In summary: Thanks all. Got some clarity on the subject. It help that I refined my search a bit and relearned about arxiv.org. Thanks for the prompting on your blog ZapperI can't read minds. All you asked for is if photons INTERACTS with atomic nuclei. Being accelerated by such RF is a clear example that it does.Physics NoviceNuclear interactions involve photons of gamma ray energy only. Greetings,I was wondering if a fully ionized atom would interact with a photon. Id expect so but can't seem to find any info about it.Thanks!Physics Novice
KitK
Greetings,

I was wondering if a fully ionized atom would interact with a photon. Id expect so but can't seem to find any info about it.

Thanks!
Physics Novice

Science news on Phys.org
Nuclear interactions involve photons of gamma ray energy only.

KitK said:
Greetings,

I was wondering if a fully ionized atom would interact with a photon. Id expect so but can't seem to find any info about it.

Thanks!
Physics Novice

Er... protons, which are "fully ionized" hydrogen atoms, are accelerated in particle accelerators using RF, which is an electromagnetic wave, i.e. photons. This is what is done at the Tevatron, LHC, etc. So yes, photons do interact with atomic nucleus.

Zz.

Thanks for the quick reply mathman! Can you eleborate on that or point me in a direction to find out more? Does the energy simply go into a change in momentum? Discrete energys absorbed? Many many questions and not sure where to find the answers.

Thanks again

Zapper Z

I always thought of that more as surfing the wave. My poorly composed question was more along the lines of whether thay actually absorb the energy. Of course that may be the case and the "surfing' analogy should go in the wastbasket.

Thanks

ZapperZ said:
Er... protons, which are "fully ionized" hydrogen atoms, are accelerated in particle accelerators using RF, which is an electromagnetic wave, i.e. photons. This is what is done at the Tevatron, LHC, etc. So yes, photons do interact with atomic nucleus.

Zz.

Zapper, what exactly do you mean? Are they shooting radio wave photons at these protons, or applying a high voltage to part of the accelerator, or what exactly?

KitK said:
Zapper Z

I always thought of that more as surfing the wave. My poorly composed question was more along the lines of whether thay actually absorb the energy. Of course that may be the case and the "surfing' analogy should go in the wastbasket.

Thanks

I can't read minds. All you asked for is if photons INTERACTS with atomic nuclei. Being accelerated by such RF is a clear example that it does.

Drakkith said:
Zapper, what exactly do you mean? Are they shooting radio wave photons at these protons, or applying a high voltage to part of the accelerator, or what exactly?

"RF" is a broad spectrum. I accelerate electrons using 1.3 GHz RF.

There aren't that many "DC" accelerator, i.e. where they apply static fields. Most accelerating structure, and certainly the ones at major accelerators, use RF sources, mainly out of Klystrons.

Zz.

I see. Alright, thanks Zapper.

Zapper Z,
Clearly it does.
Can you address "My poorly composed question was more along the lines of whether thay actually absorb the energy. Of course that may be the case and the "surfing' analogy should go in the wastbasket." ?

Thanks for your time. Ill bet you could read minds in a pinch.

Kitk

Thanks all. Got some clarity on the subject. It help that I refined my search a bit and relearned about arxiv.org. Thanks for the prompting on your blog Zapper

ZapperZ said:
I can't read minds. All you asked for is if photons INTERACTS with atomic nuclei. Being accelerated by such RF is a clear example that it does.

"RF" is a broad spectrum. I accelerate electrons using 1.3 GHz RF.

There aren't that many "DC" accelerator, i.e. where they apply static fields. Most accelerating structure, and certainly the ones at major accelerators, use RF sources, mainly out of Klystrons.

Zz.

On a historical note, the early accelerators used DC from a Van der Graaff generator. A blistering 1MeV or thereabouts!

sophiecentaur said:
On a historical note, the early accelerators used DC from a Van der Graaff generator. A blistering 1MeV or thereabouts!

Yes, but that's why they are no longer used for most major accelerators. You just can't get the high gradients you need with such configuration.

Zz.

I assumed interact meant a reaction where an actual change takes place, not simply a change in energy.

Mathman,

Exactly what I was trying to ask, but note asking it very well :-)

Thanks again

There are at least two situations which may be the kind of thing you are asking about.
1) Pair production - at high energies (above 1.022 Mev) photons, in the presence of a nucleus - needed for momentum balance, can transform into electron-positron pairs.

2) See following reference:
http://www.sbfisica.org.br/bjp/files/v37_679.pdf

Mathman,

Excellent! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to find the reference.

KitK

1. Does light interact with an atomic nucleus?

Yes, light interacts with an atomic nucleus through the process of scattering. When a photon of light collides with an atomic nucleus, it can be scattered in a new direction, changing the direction and energy of the photon.

2. How does light interact with an atomic nucleus?

Light interacts with an atomic nucleus through the electromagnetic force. The nucleus contains positively charged protons, which are attracted to the negatively charged electrons in the photon. This interaction causes the photon to be absorbed, scattered, or emitted.

3. What happens to the atomic nucleus when light interacts with it?

When light interacts with an atomic nucleus, the energy of the photon can be absorbed by the nucleus, causing it to become excited. This can lead to changes in the nuclear structure, such as the emission of gamma radiation or the creation of new particles.

4. Can light interact with all types of atomic nuclei?

Yes, light can interact with all types of atomic nuclei, including those of different elements and isotopes. However, the strength of the interaction may vary depending on the properties of the nucleus, such as its size and charge.

5. What are the practical applications of light interacting with atomic nuclei?

The interaction between light and atomic nuclei is the basis for many technologies, including nuclear power, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the structure and behavior of matter at the atomic level.