Proper Hand Position for Right Hand Rule in Wire Current and Magnetic Field

In summary, the right-hand rule for a wire with current and magnetic field involves using your right hand to indicate the sense of the magnetic field at a given point in space. The direction of the magnetic field is tangent to a circle centered at the wire, and the way your right hand grabs the wire (with thumb along the positive current) indicates the direction of the field. It doesn't matter how much you curl your fingers, as long as your thumb points in the direction of the current. This rule can be used to determine the orientation of the magnetic field, not necessarily the detailed direction.
pyroknife
for the right hand rule for a wire with a current and magnetic field. Your thumb points in the direction of the current and you wrap your fingers around the wire. Do your fingers form a fist or how much do you curl it? Right now, I'm curling my fingers where the tips of my fingers TOUCH my palm and that gets me the right answers. Is that how it's down?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point of grabbing the wire with your right-hand is to indicate
the sense of the magnetic field...

Specifically, a given point in space,
the magnetic field due to a long straight wire is
pointing tangent to a circle through your point and centered at the wire.
Which way along the circle (clockwise or counterclockwise)?
The way your right hand grabs the wire (with thumb along the positive current) indicates which way.
(It doesn't matter how much you curl it... The point is that your right hand can only curl in one direction.)

robphy said:
The point of grabbing the wire with your right-hand is to indicate
the sense of the magnetic field...

Specifically, a given point in space,
the magnetic field due to a long straight wire is
pointing tangent to a circle through your point and centered at the wire.
Which way along the circle (clockwise or counterclockwise)?
The way your right hand grabs the wire (with thumb along the positive current) indicates which way.
(It doesn't matter how much you curl it... The point is that your right hand can only curl in one direction.)

yeah but how much do you curl your finger? All the way?

pyroknife said:
yeah but how much do you curl your finger? All the way?

It doesn't matter. Curl them all the way if you want; don't curl them at all if you prefer. The answer is still the same: you get the ORIENTATION of the magnetic field, not necessarily the detailed direction.

RGV

a problem that I had to do dealt with a wire. The problem was that a wire is located at y=6m that is 2m long and the current is flowing towards the +x direction. It wanted to know whether the magnetic field was +/- at x=0. I had to curl my hand all the way to get that it was positive.

1. What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a convention used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a vector in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is also used to determine the direction of a magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire.

2. How do I use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, extend your thumb, index finger, and middle finger perpendicular to each other. The index finger represents the direction of the first vector, the middle finger represents the direction of the second vector, and the thumb represents the direction of the resulting vector.

3. What causes confusion with the right hand rule?

The most common cause of confusion with the right hand rule is the orientation of the hand. Some people may use their left hand instead of their right hand, which can lead to incorrect results. Another cause of confusion is not understanding the concept of vectors and how they relate to each other.

4. How can I avoid confusion with the right hand rule?

To avoid confusion with the right hand rule, it is important to consistently use your right hand and understand the concept of vectors. It may also be helpful to practice using the right hand rule with different scenarios to become more familiar with it.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the right hand rule?

Yes, there are alternative methods to the right hand rule, such as the left hand rule or using cross products. However, the right hand rule is the most commonly used convention and it is important for scientists and engineers to be familiar with it.