Please can you help me to resolve this vector force?

In summary, the force P is 20N in a direction N 60(degrees) E. The resolved force in the north direction is 10N and in the east direction is 17.3N. The resolved force in the direction N 30(degrees) E can be found using the projection of the force, which is 20cos(30) = 17.3N.
slingboi
A force P is 20N in a direction N 60(degrees) E. What is the resolved part of the force
(a) north
(b) east
(c) N 30(degrees) E

I have an idea of what to do for a and b but can you please show me your working aswell, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, you need to show your work first. ehild

north = 20Cos(60) = 10
east = 20Sin(60) = 17.3
What could (c) be, does N 30(degrees) E become the hypotenuse?

(a) & (b) are correct.

slingboi said:
north = 20Cos(60) = 10
east = 20Sin(60) = 17.3
What could (c) be, does N 30(degrees) E become the hypotenuse?

See attached figure. You need the projection of the force on the direction N 30° E. What is the angle between the force and the given direction?

ehild

Attachments

• resolving.JPG
    resolving.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 886
30 degrees, oh I see now so would the force N 30(degrees) E be 20cos(30)?

I hope so ...

ehild

What is a vector force?

A vector force is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the force and the direction pointing towards the direction of the force.

How do you calculate vector forces?

To calculate vector forces, you need to use vector addition. This involves adding the magnitudes of the forces in each direction and taking into account the direction of the forces. You can use trigonometry or graphical methods to solve for the resultant vector force.

Why is resolving vector forces important?

Resolving vector forces allows us to break down a complex force into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand. It also helps us to determine the net force acting on an object, which is essential in determining the resulting motion of an object.

What are some common methods for resolving vector forces?

The most common methods for resolving vector forces include using trigonometry, graphical methods such as the parallelogram rule or the head-to-tail method, and component analysis using sine, cosine, and tangent functions.

Can you provide an example of resolving vector forces?

Yes, for example, if a book is being pulled to the right with a force of 10 Newtons and to the left with a force of 5 Newtons, the resultant vector force can be found by using the parallelogram rule. The magnitude of the resultant force would be the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two forces, and the direction would be towards the right.