Record-Breaking: Most Users Online (75) on 09-18-2003 at 04:51 PM

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Most users ever online was 382 on 11-17-2003 at 09:16 PM.In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in traffic on the Physics Forums website, with record numbers of users online and an influx of new members. Some speculate that this may be due to a newsletter or the indexing of the site by Google. There is also a discussion about the change in the community dynamic with the increase in traffic.
Number of members online has been something I've always watched. I rememeber the night we had 27 members online and I thougt wow, we've hit the big time!

What I find odd is how many members say that they browse without loggin in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I remember one day and 27 members (not including guests) were online and I thought "now we've made it!"

On PF2 I remember checking in every hour or so to see if there were any new posts. Also I could not imagine graduate level physics discussions happening. It is really amazing to read through the first 50 posts of this thread. PF2 was a bit over 2years old we upgraded to PF3, So in 2 years we had managed to get to a max of 75 online, over the next year it jumped to over 300 online. Just Wow.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Passed 400,000 members today!

Wow, that's a lot of members..

Just a small fraction of them is active. I would expect that a significant fraction came for a few homework questions only.
The userids are close to 500.000: 480000 registered today

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
Wow, that's a lot of members..

If you felt like it, could you guys give a prize to the 400,000th member (if you guys know who that is)?

Coming up on 600,000 threads. Only 152 to go.

122 to go.

29 to go! (at 11:30 am) EDT

9 to go! (at 12:26 pm) EDT

Last edited:
• Threads: 599,984

Who deleted threads :mad:.

Edit: Back:
• Threads: 599,994

Last edited:
600,001 threads!

Lol, this reminds me of our race to hit post #3M or so, if I remember right, Evo hit it.

Gad said:
Lol, this reminds me of our race to hit post #3M or so, if I remember right, Evo hit it.
I hit it along with 1-2 others, so I didn't count, but yeah, those milestones are fun!

Random thoughts is the best!

Likes 1 person
Astronuc said:
Another record: Over 3 million views.

Sometime today - Japan Earthquake: nuclear plants
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200
Posts = 14,198, views = 3,000,297

Thanks to all the contributors!

Technically it got 3M vies few days ago, as we should add views from part 2 (around 9k as of today). I stopped to keep track of the views once the thread got split.

<h2>1. What does "Record-Breaking: Most Users Online" mean?</h2><p>It means that on September 18, 2003 at 04:51 PM, there were 75 users online at the same time, which was the highest number ever recorded.</p><h2>2. How was the record for most users online determined?</h2><p>The record was determined by tracking the number of users who were logged into a specific website or online platform at the same time. This information is typically collected and recorded by the website or platform's server.</p><h2>3. Has the record for most users online been broken since 2003?</h2><p>Yes, the record has been broken multiple times since 2003. With the increasing popularity of the internet and social media, it is common for websites to have higher numbers of users online at the same time.</p><h2>4. What factors contribute to a high number of users online at the same time?</h2><p>A high number of users online can be influenced by various factors such as a popular event or promotion, a major news story, or a technical issue causing a surge in traffic. It can also depend on the popularity and reach of the website or platform itself.</p><h2>5. Is the record for most users online significant in the scientific community?</h2><p>While the record for most users online may not be a significant topic in the scientific community, it can be a measure of the impact and reach of a website or platform. It can also be used as a way to analyze internet usage trends and patterns.</p>

1. What does "Record-Breaking: Most Users Online" mean?

It means that on September 18, 2003 at 04:51 PM, there were 75 users online at the same time, which was the highest number ever recorded.

2. How was the record for most users online determined?

The record was determined by tracking the number of users who were logged into a specific website or online platform at the same time. This information is typically collected and recorded by the website or platform's server.

3. Has the record for most users online been broken since 2003?

Yes, the record has been broken multiple times since 2003. With the increasing popularity of the internet and social media, it is common for websites to have higher numbers of users online at the same time.

4. What factors contribute to a high number of users online at the same time?

A high number of users online can be influenced by various factors such as a popular event or promotion, a major news story, or a technical issue causing a surge in traffic. It can also depend on the popularity and reach of the website or platform itself.

5. Is the record for most users online significant in the scientific community?

While the record for most users online may not be a significant topic in the scientific community, it can be a measure of the impact and reach of a website or platform. It can also be used as a way to analyze internet usage trends and patterns.