How do I build an electro magnet strong enough to vibrate piano strings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to create a device that can cause piano strings to vibrate without being struck first, similar to the effect of an E-bow on a guitar. The idea of using a speaker attached to the piano soundboard is suggested, and it is explained that sound is essentially vibration. The construction of Hammond organs and the existence of similar devices in the music industry are mentioned as potential sources of inspiration. The conversation also touches on the potential use of a tactile transducer to achieve the desired effect and the presence of patents for similar devices. Overall, the conversation centers around finding a way to create sustained piano sounds without the use of hammers.
no.juan
I would like to build an electro magnet capable of causing piano strings to vibrate without the strings being struck first. As long as the hammers are up, the strings would vibrate on their own accord.
An E-bow, used by guitarist for the same purpose, will (sort of) work on a limited range on the piano - but on only one note at a time. I would like to build something that can be hung inside the piano, close to the strings, that covers a wide range of notes. Hopefully I would be able to silently depress the keys, lifting hammers on those keys only, and thus creating an infinitely sustained piano sound, but without the attack the hammer gives. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A normal loudspeaker will do this, especially if 'hard mounted' to the piano frame.

Hi - thanks for writing. Please excuse my ignorance, as I know nothing of physics. Would a speaker create this effect w/o producing any noise itself? Is there something inherent about a loud speaker that, if attached to the bottom of the piano sound board, would cause the strings to vibrate enough to produce sound themselves?

Sound is vibration. The speaker will vibrate, pushing a column of air that will also vibrate. Connecting it to the sound board will just force the strings to vibrate too.

@OP: have you studied the construction of Hammond organs? There is no sense in re-inventing the wheel when there is very old and well-tested technology that can already do what you want.

I made this in 1981, showed it to Fernandes and tom sholz, and was told it had zero marketability.

A few years later, fernandes comes out with "the sustainer'.

30 years later, many big name guitarists have at least one "sustaining axe" in their collection.

I came up with this one day when I pushed down the tremolo bar (way down) on a kramer beretta guitar in a room lit by only one flourescent light and saw the string and speaker cone vibrating in synch. while wondering how I can get feel of standing in front of a cranked 4x12 cabinet while using a headphone amp.

Maniac music makes a sustainiac like the sustainer but they have an older model that is a tactile transducer that mounted to the headstock of the guitar.

I believe a tactile transducer attached to the soundboard of a piano could get you what you want to excite the strings but I'm not sure a mic. would be best for being the source of the signal you send to the transducer.

There are many patents of devices that excite piano strings to vibrate but none that will cause feedback the way a "sustainer" circuit can.

1. How does an electro magnet work to vibrate piano strings?

An electro magnet works by using electricity to generate a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with the metal strings of the piano, causing them to vibrate. The strength of the magnetic field determines the intensity of the vibrations.

2. What materials do I need to build an electro magnet strong enough for piano strings?

To build a strong electro magnet, you will need a power source such as a battery or power supply, a wire coil, and a ferromagnetic core such as iron or steel. The size and number of turns in the wire coil, as well as the power of the power source, will also affect the strength of the electro magnet.

3. How can I increase the strength of my electro magnet for vibrating piano strings?

There are several ways to increase the strength of an electro magnet for piano strings. One way is to increase the number of turns in the wire coil, as this will increase the magnetic field. Another way is to use a stronger power source, such as a larger battery or a power supply with a higher voltage. Additionally, using a ferromagnetic core with a higher level of magnetization will also increase the strength of the electro magnet.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an electro magnet for piano strings?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building an electro magnet. Always make sure to use insulated wire to prevent electrical shocks. Also, be careful when using high voltage power sources, as they can be dangerous. It is also important to properly secure the wire coil and ferromagnetic core to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can I adjust the strength of my electro magnet for varying piano string sizes?

Yes, you can adjust the strength of your electro magnet for different piano string sizes. This can be done by altering the number of turns in the wire coil and/or using a different power source. It may require some trial and error to find the right combination for each string size, but with some experimentation, you can achieve the desired strength for each string.